Wright or Great Dane Stander?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tjcezar, Mar 21, 2005.

1. tjcezar

tjcezar LawnSite Member
    from PA

Thinkin about buying 2 52" stander mowers. What is your input on these machines. I currently run a 48" z but think these would really make things faster for me. I see there are 17hp and 22hp motors. obviously the 22 hp cuts good but how about the 17hp? Anyone know where I can get two of these used?
  2. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC LawnSite Senior Member

Check out the Deere's instead of the Danes. They have the 7-IRON decks and are the better of the two machines.
  3. Go for the Green

Go for the Green LawnSite Member

The new Great Dane Super Surfer looks awesome!

I saw one at a dealer show last week and am going to demo one when the weather breaks. I love the idea of a floating, easy to adjust deck and the machine looks really solid.

The rep showed me a book with a ton of changes over the old Super Surfers. He was even honest? enough to admit to the problems that the older machines have had and said that was in the past.

Don't like the 7 iron deck from Deere. Doesn't cut as well as a fabricated deck in my opinion.
  4. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

I run Wrights. And would have nothing else. The original stand on and still the best.

I got 17hp 52" and they are under powered. 23hp is a must and 25 is over kill (my new one is 25hp YAHOO!)
  5. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

We run Wrights ,and really love them. I demoed the new Gen II SS last fall, and it is a big improvement from the first series, but I'll keep my Standers. The floating deck wasn't an issue with me, and the Standers leave a very nice cut and nice stripes as well. It's all a mtter of preference, really. You should demo both the GD and Wrights, and make an actual feature comparison before buying. You will cut your time a great deal on properties with tight areas and island beds and the like.
  6. Go for the Green

Go for the Green LawnSite Member

I agree.

I tried the Wright Stander and didn't like it at all. Everone is different and that's why you have to demo one yourself. I didn't like the Wright controls or the fixed deck and the grass discharge was poor (It clumped badly in heavy grass with a 52" deck)

Good luck!
  7. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

I have owned both and im not partial. Like everyone said demo them. With the Wright my lower legs got pretty banged up hitting the bar that crosses infront of the hydro tank. And running the Danes I found in some situations they had less traction than any other mower. But once I had changed the tires on the Dane it had really improved performance.
  8. Kevin Mackenzie

Kevin Mackenzie LawnSite Member

Like the guys are saying demo both, but make sure the Dane you demo is the new gen 2 Super Surfer it has some great new features and improvments on already what was a great machine.
  9. westwind

westwind LawnSite Senior Member

Wright Stander, easier to manuever. Have used the old surfer style in the Dane and had good luck. The new design however, does not work for us. We found that Wright Standers with the Kawasaki was the best machine for us to service our clients.