1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Wright Or Great Dane?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LuxuryLawns, Apr 30, 2004.

1. LuxuryLawns

LuxuryLawns LawnSite Member

Which one do you like and why?
    How easy to use?
    and any other things I need to know about the mowers.
  2. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Wright Stander, I love this machine, it's easy to learn, very good on hills & slopes, love it, love it, love it.
  3. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

You should go look at these mowers and try them out. Pay close attention to the difference in the controls. The Wright has handles in front of the bar to allow you to go backwards very easily while still holding onto the bar. The Dane makes you pull the handle backwards and you have to take your hand off the bar to do this.

Also notice the difference in wheel bases. The Dane's wheel base is longer because they have to have at least 6" between the deck and drive wheel to avoid patent infringements. This makes for more weight on the front wheels, and thus a little harder turning compared to the Wright.

The key for you is trying each one and seeing how they suit you.
  4. clay duncan

clay duncan LawnSite Senior Member

i have a 36in.wright velke mower (walkbehind) that is an awesome machine. it will go anywhere mows as good or better than my Walker as is built like a tank. i dont know what i would do without it...........................clay
  5. Leisure Lawn

Leisure Lawn LawnSite Member

The Super Surfer from Great Dane works much better for us.

We love the easy to adjust height of cut and floating deck as well as the fast ground speed...

The controls are very easy to use and no, you do not have to take your hands off the control bar to go in reverse...you just need to know what you are doing!!

BTW...we now own 4 Super Surfers as we just picked another one up 3 weeks ago

Great dealer support as well..
  6. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Wright I have 2 stander and a sentar. Living 20 miles from the factory might also have something to do about it. Likestomow statement is what makes the stander better. Leisurelawn is trying to compare apples to oranges. The sentar should be compared to the super surfer, since both have floating decks. The is a company near here that trade 36 surfer in for 36 standers.
  7. Leisure Lawn

Leisure Lawn LawnSite Member

Prove the stuff that you say or..

quit spreading a bunch of BS on this site...

BTW..there is a "company near here" that traded 50 Standers in on new Super Surfers.......
  8. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

I have two Great Dane Super Surfers and love them most of the guys I know that have them say they can't live without one.

As for the Wright I can't really say I have never used one.
  9. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Here is some proof. This a map of my shop and wright mfg. I find out the name of that company that bought 36 wrights. They bought them from my dealer. (Witch I talked the owner into stop selling great dane and selling the wright after having problems with GD) I try to sneak back over to that one customer's lawn (lost it to a scrub) and take some pictures of a stander on steep slopes.

10. Green King

Green King LawnSite Senior Member

I have had the pleasure of demoing both machines and here is what I have concluded.

They both will do the job!
    The great dane is more comfortable for me due to the spring loaded platform. Also the operator presance switch is in the handle not on the platform. The wright kept cutting out when I tried to mow fast. The GD has a quick adjust deck which is superior to wrights! The GD is better at going up a hill, but the wright is better at going down a hill. Hillside ability was pretty much a draw. Quality of cut was pretty much the same.

I got to demo from a dealer who has sold both machines and know carries GD. He never bad mouthed Wright he just said he had issues with the distribator. He did say the GD had issues pre john deere days. However they have there act together know. I think he is correct in that saying and it is starting to show up in this area as I see more GD running around!