Wright Or John Deere Stander

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gplank2003, Jan 31, 2007.

1. gplank2003

gplank2003 LawnSite Member

Which one does better overall far as best cut , hillside mowing, etc.? I demoed a Wright sentar sport 52" 23 hp and it didn't do well i thought on the hills was to light in the front end. I have a lot of properties with 25% grades on average. So do u think the wright or jd stander whould do a lot better ? thanks

2. grassaholic

grassaholic LawnSite Senior Member

I demoed a 52" John Deer stander and it was horrible on hills. I haven't tried any of the Wright Stander models so I can't say wether they are any good on hills or not. If your looking for a hill machine, a walk behind is the way to go.

3. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

Since the John Deere is relatively the same design as the Great Dane Super Surfer which I've used, I vote Wright Stander by a land slide. Do a search for my name and Wright and you'll see why.

4. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I bought a 647 JD stander last Spring. At first I didn't like it but when I saw how quick it was for smaller props and now that i'm used to it, I actually love it now. But on steep hills, it will not hold itself very well. I'm can't attest for Wright but don't buy the JD if you have lots of steep hills to mow, sideways.

5. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

are light in the front. That's why they have wheelie bars on them.

All depends on who your talk to. 6 of one, half dozen of the other. Both are good. Go for the best price and best service to back it.

6. gplank2003

gplank2003 LawnSite Member

ok thanks for the feed back.

7. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I believe the Wright Standers are better than the Sentars.......my Stander is very stable on hills....

8. dbrockner

dbrockner LawnSite Member

Wright 52" Fixed Deck Is By Far The Best On A Hill. This Is By Design. Bill Wright Allowed Dane Scag To Build The "super Surfer" Because He Knew It Wouldn't Hold A Hill. Dane Lost The Law Suit Of Patent Infringement In Court And Needed Something To Sell To John Deere So He Had No Choice But To Accept The Flawed Design. It Is In The Geometry And Weight Distribution Of The Machine. and It Is Patented.
    All The me Too products Are Only Allowed To Make This Flawed Version Of A Stand On Machine. This Includes: Dane, Everride, John Deere, And Gravely.
    Dont Take My Word For It Do A Side By Side Demo. Before You Make A Big Mistake And Buy A Machine That You Will Not Be Able To Get Rid Of.
    It Is Not 6 Of One Half A Dozen Of The Other. Everyone Compares Themselves To Wright, Why? Because It's The Real Thing. And It Is The Best All The Way Around.
    If Your Shopping Strictly Price, Go Buy An Mtd Tractor To Mow Your Lawns. you Get What You Pay For.

9. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

I assume you are a Wright dealer or just really brand loyal. Having owned and liked very much both machines. The Dane is a better machine especially the Generation 2.

10. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

OK why,,,,?