Wright Sentar 61

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by one man gang, Aug 5, 2006.

1. one man gang

one man gang LawnSite Fanatic
    from N. In.

Has anyone had any problems with scalping(or anything else) with this mower? I demo'd the 52 23 on a (thick bumpy field) and was impressed but the dealer won't( says he can't) take one for the day. I run a Gravely Hydro 52 WB(helper runs a 36 belt) now and the 61 would save me a lot of time and would allow me to compete for small acreage( although it's low ball city out here). Thanks in advance for any replies

2. nautiq544

nautiq544 LawnSite Member

I just bought a 52" stander, Friday was the first day I ran it. It was awesome. Can't speak to the Sentar but I can say hold out for a good used one if you can. I waited and loked and looked and I pick up a 52" w/ 23 Kawi, w. 370 hours, for $2500.00!

3. one man gang

from N. In.

Not in a great hurry. That sounds like a steal. The local guy was pushing me to buy a used 52 17 for $4000,I declined.

4. REALSLOW

REALSLOW LawnSite Senior Member
    from FLORIDA

The machines are great but in a 60 or bigger I go ZTR. The ultimate setup would be a 36 stander then a 52 stander wright and then probably a Hustler 66 super and you would have the most efficient mowing set I know of.

5. one man gang

from N. In.

I wish I would have looked into the standers when I was getting the WB's. They preform great but they're wearin my old a** out, hitting holes with the velkie is getting old quick and so are the pistles . The super looks great but a it's a few G's more no? I was under the impression the the Sentar is in the same class as a ZTR( but that's exactly why I'm asking)

6. REALSLOW

from FLORIDA

My WB work great, they are not as good as a wright sentar or stander but they tear the turf less and are more versitile. If you can get a good buy on one then yes. I could have gotten one for 4000$ with 160 hours on it but I needed to mow a property where you are on a mower 10 or 9 hours 7 if you own a Super z so I spent more money on the Super. They are good mowers but the 52's are better overall than the 60. On a 60 you should have a peddle not to scalp a 52 scaples way less. For doing small to medium properties they are the best in the 52 and 48 variety but if you are buying new and getting a 60 go with a ZTR .

7. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

I've run a 61" Sentar for about 75 hours an it's nothing you want to be on for very long. Very rough on the operator. Personally, I hate the machine and wouldn't use one if it were given to me. It cut great, in fact, really great.

Like someone already said, look at getting a normal Z if you're going with 60"+ deck.

8. REALSLOW

from FLORIDA

Exactly I would pull the seat off and just use it as a stander.

9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Guess it depends on whether you were walking before moving to the stander. Ours has a seat don't yours?

10. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah, it had the catapult, I mean seat. And I had used Standers before using a Sentar.