Wright Sentar Problems

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by br549oicu8, Jun 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. br549oicu8

br549oicu8 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have been dealing with multiple problems with a Wright Sentar I purchased on Ebay directly from Wright Mfg. The units were put up for auction and came with a parts only warranty. I purchased 2 of them...
    I am down to one machine that has been quite a money pit from day one. 2 hydro pumps and a wheel motor to begin with which you all know is a chunk of change. This unit by the way has just over 300 hours total on it.
    Wright Mfg. did pay for the wheel motor and labor but the unit still has major hydro problems. After really getting into with the people at Wright I was told they would make it worth my while to get another Wright product.
    Well...I am thinking..hmmm...that would be a heck of a deal and maybe I could live with my worthless $4000 investment of this Sentar. Well folks..I was a bit disappointed to say the least when offered the equivalent of a $100 discount over the Channel Partner Pricing discount.
    Now I know this is not a warranty issue but wouldn't you feel the same if you had purchased the unit for that kind of money directly from the manufacturer???
    I am waiting to hear back from Wright as to a much better offer...I just don't feel the ratio of $100 discount to a $4000 piece of ^&(^% is exactly being fair!!!
    When you voice your opinion be sure to put yourself and your $4000 in my shoes!!!!!!!!!

2. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I believe what you have is one of the early, Wright Sentars that were riddled with design problems. Wright bought these back and/or got unsold ones back from the dealers. Then, they rebuilt them to correct the problems. They then sold dozens of them factory direct over Ebay. So, you got a lemmon that they have tried to fix, and then dumped on the consumer.
    Does your state have a "lemon law". you might have recourse.

3. br549oicu8

So far as I can tell the only recourse I have is here. I have forwarded a link to this thread to the dealer. I warned I was expecting action or I would be more than happy to tell my tale over and over and over and maybe standing in front of the Wright display in Louisville or any other trade show I attend.
    My opinion....be accountable for the POS you sold me. :realmad:

4. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I would call the Kansas Attorney Generals office and file a complaint. Did Wright sell these as new units? Are these reconditioned units as MowingMan is suggesting? If yes and Wright didn't tell you then to me this is false advertising and they should buy them both back for what you paid. Get all your facts together and call the Kansas Attorney Generals office.

5. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

When Wright sold them on Ebay, I do not believe they were represented as new units. In fact, most had a few hours on them. Maybe someone here has a printed copy of one of the old Ebay offerings in their files. If so , you could see how they described them. As I recall, the description di not specify where they had come from.

6. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

I will second the buy back, repair and resell of the wrights. Thats what they did. I almost got talked into buying a couple of them by wright. Glad I didn't and just bought a new sentar II. (I finally sold that for those who were intrested in it)

They did fix them. But it was a bandaid fix. They never were really fixed to what they should have been.

7. br549oicu8

They were sold as demo's and then claimed them to be used. A very bad move on their part to make money off of potential lifelong customers with crap. I warned them that I would get very vocal if they didn't do the right thing so here we are. My version would have been to at least give me $2000 towards another product of my choice.

The email form Wright I received today below:
    Mr. Rogers,

I have spoken with Scott at Scott’s Tractor and Keen Edge. With their agreement and participation, we are offering you a fleet discount on the purchase of one Wright mower. Your current Sentar mower will continue to be yours to keep, sell or handle in any way you choose with no further warranty consideration.

The fleet program is generally only available to customers who purchase 5 or more units at one time – we are making this one-time offer to you for the purchase of one mower as a good-will gesture to assist you in getting into a new Stander. This offer will expire on July 15, 2005.

The details of the fleet discount and any other arrangements can be worked out with Scott at Scott’s Tractor.

Best regards,

David Macdowell

8. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Sorry, don't mean to pee on your party... but you get what you pay for. JMO

9. br549oicu8

Nice comment paponte....hope you never have any problems.

10. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

A demo to me is almost new not reconditioned. I would still call the Attorney Generals office. At the very least this sounds like a lemon law item.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.