Wright sentar sport 52" 19hp Kaw

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jeffex, Jul 31, 2008.

1. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

I have used toro walkbehinds w/velky for 14 yrs . Now I have developed tendonitus in both hips. My physical theropy is getting me better but I have identified 2 things that need to change that may be the source of the injury. My work boots needed to go for tennis shoes to prevent the high tops pulling on the tendons. Now it seems the stance required to stand on the velky and opperate the t-bar may aggrivate the hip tendons as well. I looked at the wright sentar as a possible alternative for my mowing conditions. A ZTR may be an alternative but the 52" sentar sport has a smaller footprint on my trailer than the 48" toro & folded velkey. Iwould also need a bigger trailer to carry a 52" ZTR and a 36" toro but NOT with the sentar. The local store has a 52" 19hp Kaw they are closing out . They will get back to me with a price on friday they said. Along with my decision is they type of lawn I have . mostly 1/4 acre some small hills. I would prefer the 23 hp Kaw but I'll wait and see the price point they come at me with. This is more of a move for health reasons as I love my toros. I did a search and find favorable ratings for the wright products. Anyone have a simular model to the 52" 19 kaw that can give some detail on their experience with this machine?

2. jameson

jameson LawnSite Fanatic
    from PNW

As I've recently been inquiring about Wright's 52" Sentar Sport, a couple of points from my limited perspective. . .

1. The Sentar Sport isn't equipped with the 23 hp KAW, however, it is being outfitted with the FH601V 19 hp KAW (from what I can tell, this "big block" 19 is a recent offering on the 48" - 52" Sports).

2. As the Sport you're looking at is a designated "closeout", it's more than likely powered by the FH580V KAW, an engine that is not adequate IMO to sufficiently power such a machine.

Bottom line? I personally wouldn't purchase one unless it was powered by the "big block" FH601V.

3. heybruck34

heybruck34 LawnSite Senior Member

4. jeffex

thanks for the tip on the motor I will look at that specifically on the mower itself. they have a stander that was a demo with 9 hours o it with the 23 Kaw but the deck isn't easily adjustable and it has no seat.

5. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

Look at a full size Sentar. The Sentar Sports are slower, the deck is fixed, and the stance is narrower than the Sentar, not to mention the 19hp engine on a 52" deck as opposed to a 23hp engine is a stark difference in power.

6. jameson

jameson LawnSite Fanatic
    from PNW

The FH601V 19 hp KAW would be more than sufficient to power the Sentar Sport (~790 lbs.), the FH580V. . . not so much.

I shouldn't think that the fixed deck is an issue with a Wright Sentar Sport, given its small footprint; and considering the multiplication of fixed deck Wrights out there, serial scalping doesn't seem to be an issue of great import on these machines.

7. jeffex

the sentar I looked at had a fixed deck and it looked like shims on the front casters were the method of height of cut change. The sentar sport has a unique fixed deck that raises or lowers with a handle right at the opperators fingertips. If this mower I'm looking at has the fh580V rather than the FH 601V I may just pass on the closeout price. I don't need a bigger mower or even to go fast but I would like to buy one that is NOT underpowered for my 200+ lbs. Idealy I wold like a 23 hp but after looking at this design seriously I can see how it fits my needs perfectly. Small footprint for my trailer. Well built heavy duty commercial use design. I may even consider a 36" with the 19 that would cut even my backyards with gates. Walkbehinds have doe thetrick for my route for 14 yrs but this injury has me looking to make a change

8. Hawg City Lawns

Hawg City Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

sounds like wright should look into bad boys electric deck lift that would be pretty useful on the operators station

9. tb8100

from TX

What makes the FH601 more capable than the FH580? The FH601 puts out 1 more # of torque. :confused:

10. tb8100

from TX

shhh.....let Bad Boy make a Stander with that electric deck lift! :waving: haha