1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Wright Sentar

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Envy Lawn Service, Oct 26, 2002.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I just got some literature on this machine recently. I did a search and came up with some info. But most of it was just chatter.

Is anyone using these? Any info would be helpful since I haven't even been able to find a single one in stock anywhere.

2. Ferdelance

Ferdelance LawnSite Member

I don't own a Wright Sentar, but I've tried one out. I like it alot, I might even buy one, but first, wright has to fix a few things on the Sentar. The Hydro belts were an issue this year. When I went to the dealer, he had a couple of Sentars in his shop. Im sure Wright has taken care of this though. The seat could be a little more comfortable.
    This mower is awesome, quick and easy mowing deck height change, great cut, incredibly fast, climbs hills, easy to use and many more things.
    Tell your dealer to get a Sentar in stock so you can demo it.:blob3:

3. lawn and stump

lawn and stump LawnSite Member

I have a 61" sentar with a 25hp kawi. The mower is fast, short and yes the seat can be hard- but I hear they redesigned it.
    I have had a few minor problems like loose wheel motor bolts and a short where the control linkage wore through a wire.My dealer, Allen mower in Ma. has been great and Wright mfg. is a class act. I love my mower and it's the best in my 20 yrs in this bus. great quality of cut also.

4. Envy Lawn Service

I questioned a dealer as to why he didn't have any in stock and why he couldn't give me a price. He told me there was a delay in production because they were doing some redesigning some things and fixing some bugs they found in quality control.

He went on to say how they'd rather make sure the machine is a good product before shipping than to go ahead and ship models knowing that they will have issues and have to be brought back in for updates.

I think most of us can agree not many companies will allow such things to slow availability and sales. Most would rather ship, sell and bring you in later for a fix as an afterthought.

By the way, for anyone who cares, he says they "plan" to start shipping new units out sometime in November.

5. OBRYANMAINT

OBRYANMAINT LawnSite Senior Member

i have over 1000 hours on mine a 23 hp 52 deck, love it wright and my dealer have been great

the seat is all good now and that was my ONLY beef ,i did have to pay for the upgrade but that is the only thing i am a bit sour about

excellent hillside stability,cut super in the driving rain , one of the first few machines to have 1/4 deck adjustments(now everyone does)

has a cup holder

possibly the only setback with a 61 deck is you cannot raise the deck while operating the machine like you can with a foot pedal....for when you see that dip or hump but with my 52 deck its not a concern

let the q's fly my dealer has sold over ten and most others are not over 600 yet........its gotta tell you something with mine over 1000........we really like the mower!!!!!!!!!

6. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I have used both a 52 Sentar, and the 61 on multiple occasions. It has some nice features, but I would not buy one as they are currently. I would opt for just about any sit down rider compared to them. I really love a foot operated deck lift, and the seat even if it is redesigned, can not compare to a regular z seat. The more I used the machines, the more I disliked the cut. It cut nice and clean, but did not seem to grind stuff up even after running over it several times. The mechanics I talk to really have nothing good to say about them as far as working on them goes. The people I know that have them are switching to other machines for a variety of reasons.

I would really look hard at them before buying, talk to people who run them in the area where you live.

Jay

7. Envy Lawn Service

I had only started to look into these when I first started shopping the ZTR market. I have hills and was afraid I couldn't use just any ZTR. So I looked a few towns north of me where the terrain is really really steep to see what was being sold there.

What I found was Wright, Exmark, Walker, Yazoo Kees & Bobo-Cat. I just used this as a guage point. I figured those dealers would be carrying machine that were better for steep terrain.

I've already seen hilling ability mentioned twice so far. I guess I wasn't too far off the mark there.

8. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

for hills and slopes, you can't beat a Walker SD52" w/ A/T tires "if you can follow me on mine, i'll buy your mower!"

it's the best i've ever operated on hillsides, very comfortable, low center of gravity.

i've run both standers and sentars, they are built well and cut good (other than mulching, as said above) and do well on hillsides (gotta lean into it) but i have had them slide where my walker cruises right along.

9. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

Hey Captdevo,

Is that walker as good on a hill as the Hustler Z, and Super Z? I thought they were awsome on hills. How does that walker you mention side discharge?

Thanks
    Jay

10. Envy Lawn Service

captdevo,

I don't doubt your statement no one bit. I looked at walker after doing demo on an Exmark. Walkers are the lowriders of mowers. Even though I thought the Exmark did pretty well for the places I got a chance to go, I'd doubt very seriously that it or any other mid mount could "hang" with a walker.

Of the two front mowers I've looked at, Walker & Grasshopper, they both look more stable to me than mid mounts.