Wright Stander 05 vs 07 model

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by James Camesano, Jan 24, 2008.

1. James Camesano

James Camesano LawnSite Member

I found a Wright Stander that is an 2005 model for a lesser price, is there any difference between the 2005 model versus a current 2007/8 model? Thanks.

2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

In the last couple years they came out with the Sentar Sport that has electric start and height adjustment lever and those are more than the fixed deck units.

3. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

No, as long as they are the same model, not RH

4. olde_blue

olde_blue LawnSite Senior Member

The fixed deck Wright Standers come in two model lines, the small frame Stander (WSS, with 32", 36", 42", and 48" decks and a 36" rear track) and large frame Stander (WS, with 48", 52", and 61" decks and a 47" rear track). I have a 2006 36" small frame Stander (WSS3617KAWRE), which is an excellent gate mower and handles well on hills.

The large frame Standers have only minor changes between 2005 and current, and I would buy an 2005 model at a good enough discount. In 2006, fenders were added to the machine, and the metal discharge chute was replaced with a flexible rubber unit (nice!). Also, the decal package was updated. For 2007/2008, the 23 and 25 hp Kawasaki units come standard with canister air filter and the plastic battery box was replaced with a metal one (a potential disadvantage, since the metal box will only accept sealed batteries, not the $20 ones from Walmart nor a swap with another mower with non-sealed battery). I've heard that current large frame Standers are being shipped with a deck baffle to prevent grass blowout (my Stander does not mow well in reverse, unlike my Exmark with a baffle). The baffle is supposed to be available from to update your older models, however.

The small frame standers had major changes between 2005 and 2006, and I would not recommend buying a 2005 model. The pre 2006 36" models had 18x6.5-8 drive tires, while the 2006 models were redesigned to take 18x8.5-8 drive tires, a major improvement for a machine that can weigh over 800 lbs with the operator. (I run 8 psi in my 2006-36's drive tires, and I have minimal problems with rutting. However, the tires are wearing out after less than 500 hours.) The pre 2006 32" had very narrow 18x4.8-8 tires, while the newer 32" models have 18x6.5-8 tires.
    Good luck in your search for a new Wright.

Additional information, slightly off topic:
    Early Wright Standers have manual adjusting belts and greasible spindles, but by 2005 the belts should be self-adjusting and have sealed spindle bearings.
    The rapid height (RH) Standers do not handle near as well as the fixed deck Standers, because their center of gravity is farther ahead of the rear wheels. They are based on the Sentar Sport platform, which needed the front weight bias to counterbalance a seated operator. Also, since the engine, deck, and hydro pumps all move as a unit, the engine needs to further forward as to not interfere with the operator's feet. The 48" and 52" models also have relatively narrow drive tire track width compared to the large frame Standers, plus smaller tires and lower speeds.

5. MysticLandscape

MysticLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member

Priced a 19 HP 52 inch rapid height today. $6800, and its on sale... :dizzy:

6. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

WOW I bought my 2005 5225 Standers in 2005 and they were $5800.00.

7. leaflawnandlimb

leaflawnandlimb LawnSite Member

Come up to upstate NY and my dealer has two 36" 17 hp elec start models for $4850. oh yeah they are 2006 or 2007 w/ the larger tire

8. James Camesano

James Camesano LawnSite Member

Who is your dealer and number? Thanks.