Wright Stander 17 HP--Bad Engine Already??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by br549oicu8, Aug 29, 2005.

1. br549oicu8

br549oicu8 LawnSite Bronze Member

We have just turned 1000 hours on our Stander and the engine sounds like it is ready to blow....
    Oil and filter change every 50 hours!! I am disappointed in this engine as I have been able to get 2000 plus hours out of past Kawasaki engines.
    Anybody else have issues withe the 17 HP kawi????

2. Nathan 281

Nathan 281 LawnSite Member
    from MN

Which 17hp? just got mine good so far

3. br549oicu8

17hp Kawasaki electric start with recoil backup

4. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Cooked my 17hp on my one stander at 500 hours. (now a 19hp). My other 17hp is blowing smoke at 800 hours. (back up machine) Weird. never had a problem other wise.

5. Nathan 281

Nathan 281 LawnSite Member
    from MN

the new KAI or the older ones?

6. br549oicu8

It is the older version, not the kai. I took it to the dealer yesterday and he thinks it is not cooked.!! Good news. Kinda weird..it was all noisy and stuff and then just started running on one cylinder. They think it is either a bad coil or stuck valve. Both of those aren't so bad so I am praying !!
    I can't be without a 48 so I ended up buying another new 48 while I was there. Last one they had too! The dealer told me that Wright is drastically changing the Stander soon. 48 and smaller will be on the small narrow frame and the 52 and 61 will be the larger frame we see now. Narrower frame and tires to me equals a bad move for hill stability.
    With all the problems I had with the Sentars a while back it makes me wonder if Bill Wright is doing his homewoark before he makes changes.
    He didn't on the Sentar!!!
    I'll guaranteeeeeeeeeeee on that one!

7. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

8. br549oicu8

9. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

10. br549oicu8

Hope it's not the same stuff they were smoking when they sold all those crap Sentars on Ebay!!!!!!!!