Wright Stander 48" -- best cut setup?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Hamons, Feb 3, 2005.

1. Hamons

Hamons LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 48' Wright stander 17hp. What blade setup should I start with this Spring?

Is adding the mulch kit a good idea?

2. snap12.5

snap12.5 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Unfortunately i dont have an answer to your question but I was wondering how much trimming overlap does a 48'' Wright Stander have? Around here, all that anyone ever buys is 52'' standers. Why did u decide on a 48?

3. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I used about every blade setup possible on my Stander last year. Finally ended up with double gators.......It seems to be the best for grass and leaves. Note....this was on a 61" .......

I am about to trade it in on a 52".........

Derek

4. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Jeff, It depends on the type of turf you are cutting out there. Here in WV, we are cutting mainly fescues and rye/bluegrass lawns. We use single Raptor blades with the factory mulch kits, and have no problem even with moderately overgrown turf. Sometimes a few extra passes are needed in thick, tall turf to disperse a few clumps, but other than that, on regular weekly visits, this setup works great for us. I am in the process of fabricating a new mulch plate cover system that will allow for easy, and quick removal of the plate for bagging in the fall or in first cut situations where bagging is required. The current plate is hard to get the bolts out due to the angle and placement of the bolts. I am working on a quick release style pin system to make our lives a little easier in the fall.

5. Hamons

Thanks,

The mower s 48" -- not much trim offset. Bought it used -- good deal.

Should I get baffle mulch kit or just block off plate?

I htink I will experiment with gator doubles and singles --- see what works

Any other tips to make spring rush easier?

6. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

an OCDC makes things nice

7. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

I just run the gator blade maguim verison. Works just fine.

8. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

Jeff, if you are going to be discharging, get the scag 3" wide high-lift blades from J-thomas. They have a huge sail on them and really move some air.

9. Hamons

How about for mulching -- should i buy the baffle kit or just an ocdc>?

10. jhawk71

jhawk71 LawnSite Member

Hammons,
    This past summer I found that for the summer and spring I liked doubles, with standard blades. It gave the best cut and the best stripe. I tried meg-mos but wasn't that impressed with them. In the fall I used doubles also with 1 gator and 1 standard. Then if I had to bag I went with 1 gator to reduce blow out.

Also I was mowing at around 3 1/4. This spring I will go to 3 1/2 or 3 3/4.