Wright stander 52" or Exmark w/b as only mower?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bwilder10h, Jun 6, 2006.

1. bwilder10h

bwilder10h LawnSite Member

I know the "how do you like the stander" topic has been beat to death around here so I'm going to try to take it a different direction.

I'm currently running a two year old Toro 44" belt drive floater and looking to get a different tool next year or maybe even this year but would like to sell the Toro to help pay for the new mower. I only do this part time (for now) and cut a handful of residentials and one 3 acre lot part time, but the 3 acre lot is rough and takes me close to 2 hours from start to finish because of the size and the harshness of the terrain (it's a radio station tower site and huge trucks have driven back to service the tower over the years and rutted it up real nice).

I'd also like to kill two birds with one stone and get a mower that will allow me to get my residentials done a little quicker and get rid of the hastle of dealing with belts. I always love it when they get wet and you are on a nice hill and either have to force it up the hill or try to turn it back down the hill.:rolleyes:

Given that I do have some pretty nasty hills to deal with (two are steep enough that I can't take them head on and have to cut walking along the slope while the w/b tries to slide down the hill.:dizzy:

All this being said, would you be inclined to get the stander or the Exmark hydro floater. My only concern with the stander is the hills and scalping. I do love the idea of a 52" deck with a 25hp Kaw:weightlifter:

2. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Though I don't have one, I have heard extremely good reports about the standers. The exmarks also hold there own quite well!

3. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd say go with the Stander if its going to be your only mower. I rarely have a problem with scalping and with them fat tires tires they are have they are not bad on hills.

4. jazak

jazak LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

I have used a 36" stander and liked it alot but, if you are going to be hitting ALOT of bumps holes, ext just get a bigger ZTR. The Standers do not scalp at least not the one I used.

5. bwilder10h

I know the typical mentality is if you don't have a Z you haven't 'arrived' but I would prefer to stay with a stander or w/b. Especially with the hills I deal with...

6. Mowgli

Mowgli LawnSite Member

I have a ZRT(t-cub). And I am looking to get a stander too(32" or 36" deck). I have read a lot of good things about them.I think it take less space when u load it on the trailer. On the safety side, I think if you drive stander on the hill, and if it is going to tip over or something, you can just jump off. With a ZRT, the handles bars will not let you escape that quick, at lease I don't think so.

7. Adam3669

Adam3669 LawnSite Senior Member

i am running a 36" stander and i absolutely love it. no problems yet.

8. PJDiesel

PJDiesel LawnSite Member

I've never owned or operated a stander, (almost got one) but I assure you, you won't dare take a stander on the grade that I can run my walk behind on.
    If you rearely encounter hills, mayber a stander would be good.

I get some sour responses when I tell people I have a "walk" behind. Generally, people don't understand that you don't always WALK behind a "walk" behind, matter of fact I rarely ever actually walk.......

9. bwilder10h

That was kind of my thoughts too. I do have a couple hills in a backyard that are tough for even my w/b to climb and I can't see taking a stander up them without it flipping. That was part of the reason why I posted this was to see just how well they do work on hills like this.

I guess I could just drop this customer and buy a stander for the rest of my properties... :hammerhead:

10. PJDiesel

PJDiesel LawnSite Member

Okay the, I'll take it one step further. Why a stander and not a ZTR (rider)? Is there that much of a price difference between the two?

If I could have afforded it, I would have bought a rider and push mower for the hills.