wright stander 52" vs. 61"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Kohls Landscaping Co, Feb 22, 2006.

1. Kohls Landscaping Co

Kohls Landscaping Co LawnSite Member

Hey guys,

I think I have narrowed down my next mower to a 52" or 61" wright stander.
    From those people with experience with these mowers, I was wondering which one you would recommend.

Being a fixed deck, is scalping a lot easier with the 61" over the 52"?
    Is there a big difference in 'overhang' when trimming along beds?
    Is a 61" just too big for residential properties?

We currently mow mainly residential and some commercial. The typically residential yard is a little under an acre. Around 60% of the residential properties are fairly open and flat. I already have a 52" walkbehind that I have been using.

Any other input or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    Dave

2. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

I've had a year and a half of experience with both 52" and 61" Standers.

The 61" does over hang the tires by quite a bit, probably 4-6 inches on each side. You really have to be a skilled operator to avoid scalping. Because it's a fixed deck, it will really dig in on uneven ground. In fact, the slightest unevenness can cause it to scalp. The 52", however, can be taken just about anywhere and you won't have to worry about scalping.

I would not recommend getting the 61" Stander unless it would be strictly used for very flat areas.

The 52" Stander will be more efficient than the same size walk-behind.

From my experience, the 52" works better on residentials, well, really anywhere actually. The 61" just seems to be a little to big to fit into a few areas, but that will not be the case for everyone because we all don't have the same accounts.

Actually, the company I work for that uses them are phasing out their 61" Standers because they can't be used in as many places and because it takes a better operator to run them.

I would also recommend getting at least the 23HP Kawasaki. Anything less would be borderline underpowered, in my opinion. If I were buying a 52" Stander, I would buy it with the 25HP Kawasaki.

3. godzilla

godzilla LawnSite Senior Member

Myself, I've run both the 52's and the 61's. I'd recommend the 52 over the 61 for a few reasons. 1) the 52 will fit into more places 2) the 52 will do crazy hills that the 61 is just way too large for.

However on behalf of the 61, its pretty good on flat areas. It's good for trimming under trees, and lord only knows what else... but hills are not that machine's strong point.

4. Kohls Landscaping Co

Kohls Landscaping Co LawnSite Member

Thanks guys, well put. I appreciate the responses.

Initially I was leaning towards the 61". Now, it seems as though the 52" might make more sense for what I'm doing. I'm am not quite as worried about myself scalping, but I am not going to be the only one running the machine...

jtkplc, I was definately planning to go with the 25 kawasaki :weightlifter:

Would you say that there is a 'dramatic' difference in time savings using the 61" over the 52" in an open area?

If anyone else has input, I'm all ears.

Thanks again!

Dave

5. godzilla

godzilla LawnSite Senior Member

You'll definately see time savings with the 61 vs. the 52 in flat, open areas. However when it comes to those hills you'll feel a LOT more confident on the 52. The 61 is just too big and too heavy to use on hills.

6. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

My experience with them in open areas is that it is determined solely by the operator. I can make a 61" more productive, but a couple other people I work with still run the tires right next to the previous tire marks and over hang the deck well into the already cut area. If the operator is good at utilizing maximum deck width, regardless of where the wheels are, then yes, it can be more productive. However, in the past, I've been on a 52" and gained ground over the previous stripes when that previous person was using a 61". So ideally, yes, it will be more efficient, but it all rides on the operator.

Unless you are mowing very large properties, the time savings will not be enough to override getting the 52" and being able to use that in many more places, with much more ease, and confidence.

7. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

This is the only situation I can think of where I'd get the 52"....

And yes I would get the 25hp model too.