Wright Stander 52" ???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by greg1, Dec 5, 2007.

1. greg1

greg1 LawnSite Member

Opinions on the Wright Stander 52", 23HP, fixed deck? There promo now is $7100.00. Any thoughts would be appreciated greatly.

2. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

buy a gravely pro stance and save $1200 bucks.

3. siklid1066

siklid1066 LawnSite Member

The wright products seem to ground out alot.I would not get the unit with the fixed deck,unless your yards are level.

4. Grass Happens

Grass Happens LawnSite Senior Member

the Gravely is the same thing as the Great Dane/Everride/John Deere unit. Little known fact, Bill Wright, from Wright Stander, designed the gen 2 great dane. Back in the day, Wright sued great Dane for patent infringement for some aspect of the stander. It was also at this time that Dane Scag, founder of Great Dane, and older then dirt, was trying to sell his company to John Deere and get a fat check. So rather then deal with all the litigation, he made a deal with Bill Wright to design the new Great Dane in exchange for dropping litigation. So Bill Wright designs his competitors unit to be inferior, Dane Scag makes a crap load of ching and John Deere buys something else it doesn't need. The end. I was Told this story 3 yeas ago by Bill Wright at Wright Mfg.

5. greg1

greg1 LawnSite Member

I looked at the pro stance today and liked it. Even has a floating deck, but save $1200.00 bucks? it was the same as the wright at $7100.00.

How are the gravelys?

6. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

There are differences in the GD and Gravely units. And it isn't just the color. Anyone interested in some GD Super Surfer II's?

7. CustomKare

CustomKare LawnSite Member

Whatever you do, do not get the 52 with a 19HP. Grossly under powered.

Also take the reccomendations of others and get a floating deck. A 52" is too wide for uneven ground and you will scalp if your not careful

Good Luck

8. racer56

racer56 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Kansas

Had a 52" fixed. Great mower. Had the 23hp and would at least get that for clean ups. Haven't tried the Deere or Dane so can't compare. That will be on the to do list to try out for this Spring. We tried out the rapid height and the cut just wasn't going to work for us. Start measuring between the anti-scalp wheels on the 52 and then compare the space to most any 36" on the market and you'll see the 52" has about the same gap.

9. greg1

greg1 LawnSite Member

Dealer says Wright dosn't make a floating deck 4 the stander, so i guess the anti-scalp wheels are sufficient. i may choose the 25 Hp over the 23HP for longevity.

10. Grass Happens

Grass Happens LawnSite Senior Member

The wright doesent offer a floating deck, what they offer is called a rapid height. it allows easy adjustment for height.