Wright stander again

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mattingly, Apr 4, 2000.

1. mattingly

mattingly LawnSite Member

I read the posts from a while back about the wright stander. I am now wondering if I can get an update from anyone on their wright stander. The great dane isn't an option so don't need to bring it up here. I am thinking of demoing both a turftracer and wrightstander next week. Which ever is best I will get. What are the pluses and minuses you guys have noticed about these machines? I love the one piece idea of the equipment. I don't have to full with those damn velkes. Also don't have to pay 1-2000 more for a zero turn. How well do they stripe? Is there any blade combo or style that works well with them? I have a 14' box truck and I think I can fit this in it nicely. Don't worry I have a hydrolic ramp. Don't have to take it up steep incline. Any repair problems. It will be brand new so I have warranty. I can get a 48&quot; for 4999. I am going to try and talk them down with alamia.com's prices as a reference. <br>TIA<p>----------<br>Integrated Landscape Solutions<br>Lexington, KY

2. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't have a Wright Stander but thought I would help. I have noticed one of the HUGE companies in my area using them lately. They seem to stripe up grass very well. I have noticed that many of them have the B&S Van. engines which I would stay away from. (Just my opinion) But I would definitly take one of these over a regular walk behind. Production is #1 in our business and the quality of work is #2. I don't think you could go wrong with a Wright Stander. It will likely be my next mower.

3. cjcland

cjcland LawnSite Senior Member

are they faster than a regular w/b?<p>----------<br>CJC Landscape Management<br>Winter Haven, Florida

4. moonarrow

moonarrow LawnSite Member

I have a wright stander and have about 300 hrs on it now with absolutly 0 problems I like the compact size and stripes very well I use the blade set up that Eric@Elm talks about works great it is twice as fast as a regular as a standard walk behind ifnot more and works great on steep hills If I can be of any more ass. Email me. good luck<p>----------<br>Dale moonarrow@hotmail.com<br>Southern lawn and Landscape

5. Moon wrote:<p>&gt;it is twice as fast as a regular as a standard walk behind ifnot more <p>How is the quality of cut at 12 mph?

6. MRPLOW

MRPLOW LawnSite Member

I just got mine a week ago, so I don't have a lot of input yet. The number 1 feature of a mower for me is long grass side discharge. Lawns aren't that long yet so I can't tell if it cuts the thick **** better than my 48 scag walkbehinds which did an awesome job. I have 52 inch stander with 16 hp B&S. I heard rumors about the Briggs but the price went up significantly for a different motor so I got it. I paid $4300.00, to upgrade to a 18 hp Kohler would have cost me like $800.00.

7. moonarrow

moonarrow LawnSite Member

Larry, not to be arguementive with you but the speed of the mower isn't all that contributes to how fast you can mow a lawn it also includes how quick you can turn , how easy it is to get in and out of tight places and it cuts great and beautifully at full throttle and another factor of speed is the ability of the operator I enjoy my stander and didn't have the sense and ability to operate it correctly I probably wood still be walking my a$$ of bhind a walkbehind.<p>----------<br>Dale moonarrow@hotmail.com<br>Southern lawn and Landscape

8. Michael Maxson

Michael Maxson LawnSite Member
    from _

I have seen a guy yesterday on a Wright Stander on a hill and he was struggliung with that piece of cheese it was getting stuck and not moving anyways a Scag hydro walkbehind goes faster than the stander the stander goes 6.8 mph at top speed,and the Scag walkbehind goes 7.5 mph top speed.

9. JimVelke

JimVelke LawnSite Senior Member

Michael- You're talking about an older Stander. They go 8 mph now and as far as getting stuck, the guy you saw may not have much experience in running one.
    Don't knock it if you haven't tried it.

10. Administrator

Administrator Administrator

Michael, Please read the posting guidelines before you cut down a manufacturer product again.

We need cold hard facts here.. not here say.