Wright Stander and blowout

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnScapers of Dayton, Mar 25, 2004.

1. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

My new 61" is creating a ton of blowout mainly from between the left (opposite from the discharge) and middle blades. I have them set at 3" and I am running doubles on it. Mulching on top and standard lift on the bottom. I have tried different blade combos with little change.

Any ideas???

Thanks

Derek

2. heritage

heritage LawnSite Bronze Member

Dmontgomery,
    If possable with that mower lower front of deck 1/2 inch by removing 1/2 inch spacer at castor yolk and then move blades up 1/2 inch under the deck.........Let me know how that works.

Pete D.

3. LawnScapers of Dayton

Male, from Dayton, OH

I will let you know........Thanks for the idea......

I was actually going to start experimenting with that next.

Derek

4. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

D,

first though... blades are probably too low in the deck. take out a spacer above the blades to effectively raise cutting height to 3.25

second thought... wait til full grass green up. I know the props ive been on so far this year are not very full/lush/thick yet which may also be a culprit.

last thought... try it with just singles.

5. LawnScapers of Dayton

Male, from Dayton, OH

Thanks for info....Mac....

Derek

I will try all these ideas.......

6. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Commercial lawn edging accross the front, while not particularily pretty cures this.

Note: usually in my experience 1/2 inch spacer at the wheels is more like 1/4 inch spacer at the the blades. This is true with walk behinds anyway.

7. LawnScapers of Dayton

Male, from Dayton, OH

I thought of that dishboy but that creates another problem when trying mulch or pick up leaves...

Derek

8. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

If you get it set at the right height everything goes in and nothing comes out. Mine just drag the ground on concrete.

9. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

Your problem is with your bottom blade being too low in relation to the bottom of the deck.

The Dixie Chopper comes standard with a 1/2" spacer above the blades, which can be removed when installing doubles. The extra blade adds 1/4", but with the missing spacer (1/2") the bottom blade is still tucked 1/4" higher inside the deck cavity.

Without this tuck, like on the Wrights (and most others as well), the lower blade blows much of it's turbulance out under the front of the deck. This makes grass billow up into the face of the operator as well as shortening the life of the air cleaner, not to mention how agravating it is to run that way. And personally I think it also affects the quality of the cut.

How do I know all this??? I have a Stand(a)r, and the same deck problem on mine will be remedied this week.

10. LawnScapers of Dayton

Male, from Dayton, OH

Thanks for all the input......I will address the problem when I get back home......

Derek