Wright Stander and hills

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by delphied, Oct 16, 2007.

1. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

One of the things that dealers like to promote about the Standers is how well they do on hills. I read on the threads here that they spin out on hills and you cant turn them when going down hill. Are they good on hills or not? Can you mow ditches with them?

2. delphied

Are they any good at all?

3. delphied

bump bump bump

4. Greenery

Greenery LawnSite Senior Member

I think they work great for hills you just have to know how to go about it just dont point the front end downhill on steeper ones. But if the hill is extremely steep I would still recomend a w/b

5. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

Imo...there very scary on hills... wb Is much safer.

6. Greenery

Greenery LawnSite Senior Member

Just curious how much experience you have running one

7. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

I will take any 52" or larger stander to any hill you name and guarantee that it will stay on the hill better than any walkbehind. I had a stander on a 42 degree hill once. It would get up on and and stay on it. But then again I probably have like 4000 hours of running standers.

8. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

I have tested a write a toro and ferris all on the same hill this is what i found.
    Toro did not make it across. The write made the first 2 passes then began to slip out in the reaar. The ferris 2000 is cut the whole thing!
    I liked the write but did not like the quality of cut and I was a bit scared facing down hill. I guess if I was used to the ride I would be even better and enjoy it more.

9. delphied

I am a little leery of cut quality on the Wrights too.