wright stander and the 17 hp kawasaki (again)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by geogunn, Jan 1, 2001.

1. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

there has been alot of discussion abought the wright stander on the forum lately and it has been interesting.

HOWEVER, is the 17 hp kaw big enough for this machine?

if you consider all of the comments made here, many think the 17 kaw isn't that strong. I have no personal experience with this unit.

my point being that if the 17 isn't that strong, is it adequate at all for the 48 inch cut wright stander.

in my town the same dealer sells gravely and wright. he has a real good reputation.

we also have a dane dealer but I'm not as sure about them. the gravely dealer only sells equipment. the dane dealer is a retail outlet for a garden store and you never see the service people.

GEO

2. JimVelke

JimVelke LawnSite Senior Member

Hi Geogunn-
    The 17 Kaw is our most popular engine on a 48" Stander. We offer a good range in hp for each deck size based on what people have bought or asked for. If you look at our web-site you can get an idea of what is most popular. http://www.wrighmfg.com The engine offered in the middle of a range for each deck size will be what most people think they need. Note: Not many would buy the 52" with 17 Kaw if it wasn't enough power for the 48". The 17 Kaw is very popular on our 52" Stander.
    You can get some good advise from other users but consider that thier grass conditions (type of grass, often wet grass, length they cut, etc) may be different than yours.
    I suggest that you get a demo if you're not sure.

3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I recently removed a 14 Kaw and replaced it with a 17 Kaw on my 50" gear drive Gravely. It has power to spare now. The questions I would ask of Jim would be how much more than the Gravely does the Stander weigh. My Gravely is around 460 lbs with my sulky. I would also want to know how much more HP does the Stander's hydro system waste compared to a gear drive system. If the Stander's weight and drive train waste is comparable to that of my Gravely then I would have to conclude that the 17 Kaw has enough power.

4. geogunn

from TN

thanks jim--I had figured you would weigh in on this and of course you probably know that it's as a result of your contributions recent contributions that I ask the question.

jim, I haven't done alot of checking on the wright because I have just started to consider one. what is the blade speed on those things and how do they handle high grass? it's very important to me to find out how they do because I get a bunch of crap lawn cuts that make up my "gravey" if you know what I mean.

richard--I think I asked you but can't remember. did you re-motot with a single or double, electric start or yank?

thanks.

GEO

5. Richard Martin

It's a twin cylinder pull start. I have Mobil 1 in it so pull starts are very easy even in 16 degree weather.

6. JimVelke

Richard- The 48" and 52" are about 700 lbs.(48" has a weight bar)
    The hp required to run either type of drive system is about the same. That's why many OEM's offer the same engine options on their belt drives as they offer for their hydros.
    For example: if your 50" Gravely uses 4 hp to run the drive system, the 52" Stander may use 4 1/2 hp.
    Again the best way to determine what you need is to demo the machine on your toughest lawn.

Geo- The 48" blade tip speed is 15576 fpm or 177mph.(not as fast as our other deck sizes)
    I have an awesome picture that was e-mailed to me from Florida of our 36" with 17kaw bushhogging 8 foot tall grass.

7. geogunn

from TN

8. osc

osc LawnSite Senior Member

We have 2 kaw 17's on 61" hydro wb's. They do surprisingly well as far as power goes. We don't take these machines into bush hog situations but they do fine in normal lawn cutting. I would think a 48" deck would be a great fit for this engine especially if you run a belt drive. You should have enough power for that.
    On the flip side, we have had some issues with good service on these engines. Both engines blew up in the first month of use. One was replaced and the other got a ring job. Getting parts from Kaw was also a bad experience. It took 6 months to get them fixed because kaw had to respond on the warranty and when they did, they sent the wrong rings on 4 seperate occasions. Then they told the dealer that the correct rings were not available. Also when the dealer disassembled the ring job engine, he found the governor was not even hooked up and the bearing was rolling around in the bottom of the crank case. Who knows? I am surprised that engine ran as good as it did.
    These motors have air filters that must be changed religiously or you get dirt going right on by to the intake and there goes your cylinder walls. They suck beaucoupe air for cooling and you have to really take care to clean the cooling fins or you'll cook the motor; more so than Kohlor. Oil dirties more quickly as well.
    But hey, I like Kaws and the 14.5 is one of the all time great small engines. The only other motor I could compare the 17's with is the older Kohlor Magnum 18 horse which seemed to have power to burn on a 61" deck hydro wb. That mower would actually bush hog 5 ft hay. The Kaw 17's won't do that but hopefully they won't need to.

Happy Mowing!

9. JimVelke

OSC- We were aware that the 17 Kaw had overheating issues a few years back when the flywheel screen was plastic and clogged with grass easily. We took on the 17 right after they fixed that problem by using a new steel screen.

Geo- Thanks, Too late to fix it now.

10. Richard Martin

Jim Velke wrote:

<b><i>The 48" blade tip speed is 15576 fpm or 177mph.(not as fast as our other deck sizes)</b></i>

Wow! You are really giving up some tip speed aren't you? Is this because you are using the same pulleys on all of your machines regardless of blade length?