Wright Stander: Can't drive in a straight line!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by soundchoicelawn, Nov 11, 2013.

1. soundchoicelawn

soundchoicelawn LawnSite Member
    from lacey

I just bought a wright stander RH. I'm having the hardest time getting it to drive completely straight. I didn't know if anyone had any techniques or tricks for making straight lines. This is my first zero turn so i know there will be a learning curve to driving it. My dealer said that it might take 2-3 months to get it down and comfortable. But i'm having a hard time wanting to give it 2-3 month to figure it out. I don't feel thats fair on my customers to make there lawn look like a non-professional did it. Anyways, any tips?

2. Jaybrown

Jaybrown LawnSite Bronze Member

It's always hard for some reason It's just so sensitive I think

3. soundchoicelawn

soundchoicelawn LawnSite Member
    from lacey

Do you own one? And if you do, how long have you owned it? I'm just curious if there's any hope for me.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Vecchio Lawn Care

Vecchio Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Practice makes perfect.

5. smallstripesnc

smallstripesnc LawnSite Senior Member

Ive never owned a stander but have a zero turn and a hydro walk behind that has z controls. Honestly dont look at the controls. Just look where your aiming to go and your hands will make it happen.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Jaybrown

One season.

7. Jaybrown

I put 300 hrs on that mower this year. Mine is old and seems to track to the left a bit. It's a bit light so every little bump you hit transfers to your hands and makes you go off course a bit. I can get straight lines but not as straight as my z rider. You have to really pay attention

8. kawakx125

kawakx125 LawnSite Bronze Member

practice practice practice, it takes awhile to make straight lines, and the harder you TRY to make straight lines the more crooked they will be.

9. GQLL

GQLL LawnSite Senior Member

Don't look down in front of you find something across a yard for a view point and aim towards it. You can scan a yard this way for obstruction or trash.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. kawakx125

kawakx125 LawnSite Bronze Member

you go where you look. there's not a person on this forum that hopped on a zero turn the first or even 2nd time and mowed straight lines. it takes practice and alot of it. 2-3 months is probably about right, a full season to be really good at it.