1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Wright Stander Clutch issue

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by howie099, Nov 21, 2004.

1. howie099

howie099 LawnSite Member
    from Chicago

I bought a Wright Stander from a friend with a blown motor and I just swapped the motor. My problem is the blades will not enguage and I am guessing that it might be the clutch since it was locked pretty good on the old motor. It there anyway of testing these things or the switch that anyone knows of? It is a recoil starter so I do not have a battery on this unit. It is a 42" w/a new Kawasaki Engine.

Thanks for the help

2. Goodguy001

Goodguy001 LawnSite Member

Start up the mower and check to see what voltage is going to the clutch wire.

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

Since you installed a new engine, let me ask you this one...Does the engine you installed have a charging kit on it, for an electric clutch mower? I made this mistake once and had an spare engine until one of my manual clutch machines lost an engine....

The simple things are what it is 90% of the time!
  4. howie099

howie099 LawnSite Member
    from Chicago

Yes, I do have a charging coil on this Engine. I made sure before I ordered it and it has a Red wire and black wire (On the Kawasaki's the red in the coil and black in the kill)
  5. howie099

howie099 LawnSite Member
    from Chicago

I will check and see. I am guessing I should see about 12 volts.
  6. jim dailey

jim dailey LawnSite Senior Member

Take a trip to the j.thomas web site...they have a whole section there on how to test and adjust the electric clutch. It's very informative...
  7. howie099

howie099 LawnSite Member
    from Chicago

Thank you for the info I will take a look. I know there had to be info somewhere it is just finding it sometimes.
  8. CCWKen

CCWKen LawnSite Member

Check to make sure the clutch works by attaching a battery. You should hear it click. If it does, check the output from the engine. Most engine alternators have AC output and require an inline diode to operate DC accessories. The clutch will not work on AC engine output.