Wright Stander cooking my feet.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by morin3, Jun 4, 2004.

1. morin3

morin3 LawnSite Member

I bought a new Wright 36" Stander on Monday of this week, began mowing with it and have loved it. On Wednesday I carried it back to the dealer to have the cutting depth lowered. Got it back from the dealer and used it on Thursday and after mowing only a short time I noticed that both feet where getting hot.
    Has anyone else had or noticed this problem? Had no problem with hot feet before the cuttting depth was lowered.

RLM

2. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

You might have gotten one of the new Bar-B-Q editions by mistake. Put steaks on that grill, not feet!

3. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

I don't think I would stand for that!

4. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

LOL at that pun.

When you have to take a mower to the dealer to lower the cut height, I think it's time for a redesign. (I know you don't have to, but it is daunting for someone without much experience with mowers, at least compared to moving 4 pins)

I have read other reports of burned shins, etc, from the hydro position.

I feel the stander is an innovative design that can really speed up things on certain types of properties. But it has had some significant flaws that haven't, perhaps through arrogance and pride (no amateur can tell me my design is flawed! ) , been rectified in the many years its been out. I really WANT one, but can't pull the trigger yet with the problems that exist. For example:

1. fixed deck design limits ease of height adjust, range of adjust, and precise adjustment of proper deck pitch angle. Chop n' drop mowing doesn't require such precision, but the very properties the Stander is likely to be used on (smaller, higher quality turf) sure do. Fixed decks are also more difficult to get over the crest of a trailer ramp, and impossible to get up a steeper ramp into the back of a truck. Nobody wants a mower that hangs up on the trailer ramp. A walk behind you can safely pop up the front end on to solve that problem. Not really the case with the stander, unless you're really experienced with it.

2. Safety control in foot plate instead of handles means you can't walk it when you need to in wet situations while still mowing. Also has led to reports of engine cutting off or stuttering on rough terrain. Would add greatly to the machine's utility and versatility.

3. ABYSMAL blade pitch speed of 15,700rpm on 48" models, and less than optimal on some others. Wouldn't a simple pulley change fix this guys? If you have to slow down to mow cleanly, you're losing a lot of that productivity the stander gives you.

4. Until just this year, no real mulch kit, and still no custom designed blades made to work with this deck design. I'd like to see a real commitment to mulching quality. Not having to bag saves more time than any other single mower design feature.

5. Narrow tires on 36" models cause rutting/tracking problems and also traction/turf damage problems in turns. A narrow platform to stand on is preferable to a mower that destroys lawns in certain conditions. At the very least make wider wheels/tires (even if they stick out too far to get through 36" gates) an OPTION. I feel the smaller standers make the most sense, it'd be nice to know they will leave all lawns looking like they were mowed by a walk behind mower.

6. Mixed reports on quality/distance of discharging w/o clumping.

7. Website that was ok for 5 years ago, but many one-man companies here on lawnsite have better and more complete ones than does Wright Mfg.

The advantage the stander has of not having to tow around a sulky is a big one. Seems a shame to muck up the easy to fix stuff on it.

5. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

Bruce32, What specifically dont you like about Standers? LOL:D

6. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

Well Said Bruce!

The Stander's Need Floating Decks & Adjustable Controls to enable WalkBehind Mode in Soft Turf...

7. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

A Stander with an adjustible deck isn't possible, but a Sentar that works like a Stander... well that IS possible!

im003107.jpg

8. J.Gordon

J.Gordon LawnSite Senior Member

Bruce very well said, you just explained the reason I didn’t buy a stander! If they improve their design I will buy one.
    Likestomow if they made a 36’’ Sentar. lol

9. Burger

Burger LawnSite Member
    from Montana

brucec32, don't sugar coat it man, tell us how you really feel.

10. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

Bruce, until you run one for any length of time, keep your opinions to your self please.