1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Wright Stander Floating Deck/Easy Adust. Deck Height

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by afftandem, Jan 18, 2005.

1. afftandem

afftandem LawnSite Member

No... I sent an email to Wright's customer service, complaing about changing the deck height and a floating deck... Doesn't look like they'll be making any changes to these soon. This was my email:

I'm in the process of purchasing your 52" Sentar mower. I would've
    loved to have purchased a 36" Stander along with it, but was discouraged
    due to the fact that it is a "fixed" deck. This is the mower that made
    your company. Reading online forums (such as lawnsite.com, which you
    sponsor)to find information for myself, I've discovered that most people
    prefer your stand-up over john deere and great dane when it comes to
    the quality of build, yet will opt for the JD or GD due to the floating
    decks... give your cutomers what they want. It seems as though many are
    willing to trade in their walk behinds for a Wright floating deck
    Standers..Im one customer who would've loved to have purchased one. Im now looking at walk behinds, GD's and JD stand ups. Engineer an easy way
    to change the deck heights (wich you guys recieve great criticism
    for)and use a floating deck.. Then you would have no competition in the stand up mower arena.. thank you for your time.

This was their response:

Thank you for your note and expressing your thoughts on the Stander.
    We have considered design changes that would allow for an easy adjusting
    deck height. While we believe it would be a good and a well received
    modification, other R&D projects and new products have taken priority.
    There is always a possibility that we might offer a mower consistent
    with your suggestions though I don't see it happening in the near future.

I will forward your note on to the proper department for further

If this is what we want, then I encourage all of you to send an email to wrightmfg. Many are moving away from the wb's for productivity, and from what I read on hear, the Stander's a much better machine over the great dane and jd quick trak.... So all of us send an email, and tell your buds in the business to send an email, then maybe we'll get what we are wanting.

Note: he basically says that its being pushed aside for other projects (this is their best mower, what their famous for) and "I don't see it happening in the near future."
  2. snap12.5

snap12.5 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

As soon as they make the Stander with a floating deck, it will be in my garage! Has anyone had serious problems with scalping with the Stander?
  3. scottt

scottt LawnSite Senior Member

No. I have had a 36'" and 48" stander and neither have been a problem at all. I don't know what grasses you mow, but we have a lot of bermuda around here. Bermuda is the easiest grass to scalp I have ever seen. A height differcence of 1/4" to 1/2" is always easily seen. Fescue and rye are much easier to mow without scalping. As long as you make as many right hand turns as possible, there should be no problem. As far as the deck height adjustments, I have never understood why so many complain about it. The deck height can be changed in about 30 seconds.
  4. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

caster spacer's are Less than 1/2".....Useless....Changing Blade Spacers or Axle Position takes a Little Longer than 30 Seconds.
  5. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

We bought 2 17 / 48" Standers last June, and never have had any problems with scalping. We don't change cutting heights here, so the floating deck isn't an issue and I don't think it would really matter to me after using them for 5 months last year so far. Every account is cut at 3.5", year long, so changing deck height is negligle to us. Southern guys, I understand ,have a few problems with different grass types on the same lawns(front at 2", back at 4"), so I guess there is a need for floating / adjustable decks to a certain extent. I guess you have to pick the right mower for the right area / jobs. No one mower is going to be perfect for everyone, but the Standers are great for us..
  6. scottt

In my area, if you set the machine up correctly you can mow fescue and bermuda without having to change anything but the casters. We use the lower settings for bermuda and the higher settings for fescue. The casters are just about right for this area.
    What varieties do you mow in Canada?
  7. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

What About Pitch...Just Changing Casters Screws up Your Pitch...

Regardless I Need to be able to Change at least 1" for double Cutting in Spring and for Different Conditions on Different Lots.... Irrigated Get Cut at least 1 "..Sometimes 2" lower than non irrigated During Dry Spells.

I Would Trade a Couple of my eXmarks for Standers if they Had a Floating Deck.

My Guess is they Can't because of Concessions they Made With Great Dane.
  8. snap12.5

snap12.5 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

IMPACT -u have some 48" standers - i was wondering if the 48 has any overlap for trimming. i saw a 52'' that has only an inch or two overlap and was thinking that a 48 would have no overlap. is that the case?
  9. nitrotim

nitrotim LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

Correct me if I am wrong the 30 seconds your talking about is the caster height which only changes the angle of the deck. I was under the impression that to properly change the deck height you would need to change the height on the rear of the stander also which I have been told is a 30 minute job.
  10. scottt

It does change the angle of the deck, but also the mowing height. This is not the "best" way to adjust heights, but we have had no trouble at all with adjusting height this way. The deck pitch referred to above is important, but in our instance it works fine using just the casters. This mower is not for everyone. If you need to make large heigth ajustments daily, you need a different mower. If your like us and only make major changes once a year, it works great.