1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Wright Stander, JD 657A Q-track, Ever Ride Scorpion, or Great Dane Super Surfer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bandbmowing, Apr 26, 2006.

1. bandbmowing

bandbmowing LawnSite Member

Everyone I am looking at purchasing one of the above listed mowers with a
    52" Deck. If anyone could give me feedback on any of the above mowers that would be much appreciated. My current business is 20 lots, ranging from small residentials to 3 acre lots. We are currently running a 48" Bunton (Hydro), a 48" Dixon Walkabout (Belt-Driven) and for backup we have a
    44" Grasshopper 1212. I am still small compared to most of the companies I have read about, so I want to get the most for my dollar. Thank you in advance for you time in responding to my question
  2. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd say go with the Wright Stander, I can tell you from owning one myself the the Great Dane's are sh*t. Personally the John Deere looks to long and clumsy, and I don't know anything about encore, so I'd say go with the Wright. :usflag:
  3. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

I have used both 52" Wright Standers and 52" Great Dane Super Surfers and the Wright is far better. More ergonomic, shorter frame which means it will turn much faster and it will hold a hill much better, and it is more efficient because you can go places you can't with a Super Surfer and because they turn faster than the Wright.
  4. ThirdDay

ThirdDay LawnSite Senior Member

The Wright Stander is the best of this bunch by far.

The Great Dane Super Surfer is clumsy by comparison and has had a ton of trouble quality wise over the years.

My suggestion would be to forget the stand on machines and get one of the better mid size Z's on the market..more bang for the buck and less tiresome in the long run....why stand when you can sit for approx. the same money??
  5. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

Wright Stander. The JD is a version of the Great Dane (no longer made, btw) NO mower is perfect..They all have their quirks and flaws. The standers flaws are there are no grease points for the handle controls and at 55 hours, mine began to stick on one side. Which causes problems like turf tearing and problems moving delicatly. Also, the front wheels tend to "grab" near curbs and when trying to curb hop, the caster will not stay straight and turns the wheel sideways making it neccesary to try again.
    Those are the things ive noticed. Your mileage may vary.
  6. Daneman

Daneman LawnSite Member

Great Dane's are no longer being made? You might want to check your information.

ACI bought them in October, and have been building Dane Stand ons, and riders since then
  7. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

Read the post. It says the JD version of the great dane is no longer being made. I know they were purchased and I know the GD are being made.

Please read the post and UNDERSTAND it before you fire back some comment.
  8. old dog 80

old dog 80 LawnSite Member

Everride makes Great Dane and their own,used to make JD too.
  9. ThirdDay

ThirdDay LawnSite Senior Member

Talked to a Deere dealer today. ACI is still making the stand on mowers for John Deere and will for several more years as per their contract.
  10. Loy's Home Services  LLC

Loy's Home Services LLC LawnSite Member

Don't have one myself but I know alot of guys that have Wright Standers and they love them, and they have a really nice cut!