1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by milo, Sep 15, 2005.

1. milo

milo LawnSite Bronze Member

I Was At My Dealer Today And I Seen This Mower Sitting Out Front For Sale And Asked Him How Much. He Said $1200. It Is A Wright Stander With A 48 Inch Deck And 20hp B&s Vangard. I Bought It It Has 760hours On It. Runs Really Smooth But Once I Got It Home And Tried It When I Shut It Off Oil Leaks Out Of It Above The Oil Drain Plug. I Think It Is At The, I Guess You Can Call It The Oil Pan Gasket. It Only Leaks After It Is Turned Off But Quite A Bit Comes Out. Is There A Problem With These Engines? Or Do You Think That Gasket Is Just Bad? I Will Call My Dealer Tomorrow And Tell Him About It And Hopes He Will Fix It For Me. But How Are These Mowers? He Told Me It Is A 1999 Model. 20hp B&s 48 Inch Cut. They Seem Built Strong But For 1200 I Had To Buy It. That Is Like 3 String Trimmers Lol..
  2. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

A lot of guys here seem to love the standers.
    For $1,200 in running order, I would have bought it too.
    I would have gave $1,200 just to have it to play with.
  3. milo

hi envy, that is how i felt when he said 1200. i think it will be a fun new mower to play with. they really look built good and it does run and handle great. just the oil leak that he is gonna take of at end of season. i will say this on a hill it scares the hell out of me, but it seems to do ok on hills. will post more after i use it a week or 2. envy, how is the lesco treating you?
  4. hoyboy

hoyboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from Chicago

Once you use that Stander, you'll never use a walkbehind again. They are awesome.
  5. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

Love my Standers, I would say you got a good deal, even if you have to replace the motor. From what I have heard, the hydros will last 2-3,000 hours. I understand with better care, they may last longer. So you have quite a ways to go.
  6. Envy Lawn Service

I guess they are good on hills. The owners here brag about that part. No question though, it would take a lot of getting used to before really knowing what is safe to do with it. New tires might be an asset as well if they are not pretty fresh.

I played with the idea of a Stander for a while. I'm a big fan on compact mowers. I finally drove one and without question it is the most comfortable mower to stand on. It was fun also. But considering that I have diabetes, I'm sure the fun part would wear out quick if I were using standers solely to earn my living. That's why I stick with ZTR's.... afraid to try and push it with a stander or walkbehind w/sulky.

Aside from that, I am all the time changing cutting heights. I even have lawns that I mow at one height immediately around where people walk and then fade it out 1/4" at a time until I get to 5".... But even aside from that, I still change a lot and I would surely be pulling my hair out within the first day.

However, I realize a lot of people cut at the same height about all the time and for those that don't... a new Stander is on the way with rapid height adjustment.

As for the Lesco, it's still treating me extremely well.
    It seems I appreciate it more every day that I own it.
  7. PrecisionLawnsInc

PrecisionLawnsInc LawnSite Member

$1200!!! That sounds like a great deal. Good job! My only concern would be the briggs motor. But for that price seems like you cant go wrong even if you have to put a new motor on it.

8. milo

i dont know, the briggs engine so far seems perty good. they are really quiet and have alot of torque. out of all 4 honda, kawasaki, kohler, b&s i thought i did not like b&s at all, but after using it, it is one smooth engine...
    still trust wise honda, kawasaki, kohler has proven themselfs to me. so time will tell me how they are
  9. Envy Lawn Service

Yeah, I have seen several of the Briggs commercial engines deep into the 2,000 hour range. I saw one not too long ago with 2,973 hours. It fired right up and ran strong.
  10. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

You stole that. I just sold a 1998 model 17hp kawi with a ton of hours to my neighbor for $2000. He got a grassgobbler and 3 sets of blades.