1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Wright Stander my thoughts after 50 Hrs.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Stinchcomb Lawn, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Stinchcomb Lawn

Stinchcomb Lawn LawnSite Member

First off I want to say I have never bought or would even think about buying a mower that wasn't a John Deere. I have 3 z's and they have been excellent ! I had been looking a the wright stander for a long time but just didn't want to buy something that may not be the same quality as my JD's. So one day I decided to buy the 36 fixed deck 15 hp. I paid 4,599 out the door and couldn't wait to get home and try it out. I had the perfect yard to try it out on it was about two foot high hadn't been mowed in weeks. So when I got home my wife was glad to see I was going to try it out on our yard. I got it off the trailer made two stripes in the back yard and all of my fears came true I HATED IT !! This mower was a PITA to drive it was completely not what I had expected, all I could think about was getting it back on the trailer and taking it back! I slept on it over night mowed some of my accounts over the weekend, I got use to the ride and the controls. One of my coustomers came out and said what kind of mower is that. When I left he came out again and said would you mind cutting my yard with that and not the JD from now on. He went on and on about the cut and how nice it looked. So now I had to keep it, over a short time I was really beginning to like this mower alot. I like it so much that my employees complained because they never get to use it. So here are my thoughts :

Dis likes:

I mowed several accounts with this mower and it left deep tire impressions in some yards. The yards were not wet and i'm only 185. So I let the air out of the rear tires and this problem is fixed. I did post about this problem right after I noticed it and this is where I got the idea. I'm not sure how wright can fix this but it is very minor.

The last problem I had was we had cut a yard and a small piece of hard mulch got stuck under the foot platform. This didn't allow the blades to engage, this was a PITA to get out this has happened twice now also very minor.

The good:

This mower has saved me alot of time per yard. It will go throught all of my gates and the cut is amazing !!! All of my coustomers love this mower. It has also elinimated a push mower, I now can buy the cheap home Depot mowers for the really small places.

This is my main mower now I can't see how I ever made it this far in this business without it. If you don't have one get one !! This is the best purchase I have ever made for my business.

IMO there is no other mower on the market that can compete with these mowers. As long as I'm in this business I will have a Wright on all of my trailers!!

Brandon Stinchcomb
    Stinchcomb Lawn & Tree:usflag:
  2. MileHigh

MileHigh LawnSite Silver Member

Yea...I really like those mowers as well.
  3. ShovelMonkey

ShovelMonkey LawnSite Member

I run a Great Dane Standing mower. Looks identical. Actually GD was bought by JD a few years back. I love mine, had same issue with tires. Reduced pressure also makes for a softer ride, better traction. Mine doesn't have the safety switch on the platform, I can start it standing next to it if'n I want. Customers love it to, I have been told that it looks like to much fun to charge for. I say, "yeah, it sure is fun" and charge em anyway!
  4. doubleedge

doubleedge LawnSite Senior Member
    from ND

GD is an Ariens company, I believe.

I wish I had a Wright dealer in my area :hammerhead:.
  5. ShovelMonkey

ShovelMonkey LawnSite Member

It is now, skaggs started it (skaggs mower) and under ACI it joined with JD quick-trak in production and then Ariens bought all that- Kubota figures in somewhere in the past as well http://www.greatdanemowers.com/aboutus.html
    I used to have a GD dealer in town, but right after I bought it, they quit. Now the closest dealer is in Portland, 300 miles away.
  6. WrightCommercial

WrightCommercial Inactive

If you provide me with your zip code, I can find a dealer for you. If you'd prefer to email me directly, please feel free (jillianj@wrightmfg.com).

Kind regards,

Jillian Jensen
    Sales & Marketing Administrator
    Wright Manufacturing, Inc.
  7. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

Thanks for the post Brandon...I have been mulling over the idea of a 36" Stander...I had heard about the cut quality problems and wondered if it was a tire pressure thing. This info is helpful in making the decision.
  8. CGlisson

CGlisson LawnSite Member

That was your first mistake....no mower can handle that. But that would be nice if it could! Glad to hear it worked out in the end. I'm strongly considering a 36" Stander in the future.
  9. Lawn Enforcer

Lawn Enforcer LawnSite Silver Member

Sweet, I'm glad you like the stander. I love my Everride!
  10. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I know the original poster only had ZTR mowers, no w/b mowers in his list.

Can anybody make comment about the 36" Wright machine, over against a 36" w/b? I think my primary concern would be slopes, hills, handling in difficult situations, etc. I now have a 36" w/b that is very effective for my properties (I also have a ZTR for larger ones). But, my w/b is 11 years old, lots and lots of hours. Would anybody replace a w/b with a Wright Stander 36" machine? Remember, slopes and some hills are in the mix. Also, I do a limited amount of bagging with a Gobbler.