1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Wright Stander No floating deck

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RhettMan, May 5, 2008.

1. RhettMan

RhettMan LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

I have wanted a wright stander for a while now but I am scared that the no float design will give a bad cut, what do you guys think?
  2. There's a reason they don't have a floater.... They know what they're doing...

Honestly, I just bought one last week. I was concerned about it as well, but with the wheels so close to the deck, it's not an issue. But it's like most anything else - if you run it wide open, you can expect a less than perfect cut...
  3. jklawns

jklawns LawnSite Member

I run mine wide open and it still leaves a great cut. I have the smaller engine block
  4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

First I think you should know not ALL Lco's care for fixed decks.

And I dare say if you've used commercial mowers of the same TYPE that you're about to get into for at least ONE year, then a fixed deck shouldn't pose TOO much of a challenge.

That is, I got into fixed decks my 2nd year, it took a while getting used to.
    Now some Lco's they fool with it for a bit or a while and go back to the floats...
    But once I did I never looked back, I've been into fixed decks ever since.
    So it seems you either love them, or hate them.
    I don't think either way is right or wrong, just which one you prefer I guess.

Ain't but one way to find out.
  5. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Wright now has a RH(rapid height) stander, floating deck in a 36 and up. Problem with fixed deck is it is possible to dial in the cut only at one height, i/8 inch deck pitch with the blades at the bottom of the deck is only going to happen at one setting for every hole in the back or at every one or 1/2 inch increment depending on the design.
  6. dbrockner

dbrockner LawnSite Member

The Sentar has a floating deck, it is hung on chains. It also has the weight of the engine that moves with the floating deck to give you less bounce, a high quality cut and a lower COG ( center of gravity ), for excellent stability on hills.
  7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Design up north must be different than down south.....my sentar has solid four bar lindage. So technically it isn't a floating deck but don't know if it matters.
  8. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

jk..is it a pain to change cutting heights? Im looking into a Wright 32 which is a fixed deck...but as much as we have to change deck height...from fescue to bermuda and back...I was afraid it would be a pain.
  9. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

I ran fix deck standers for years. Never had a single problem.
  10. jklawns

jklawns LawnSite Member

Lawnprostevo I have a sentar sport 36" and I can change the height on the fly. I change the height on every yard I do so a fixed deck would not be practical for me. As far as the 36" not getting into back yards I have found that of the 60 residential yards I mow there are only 4 that I cant get it in. I bought the mower this february and it has been a life saver. I have been able to use it almost all the time. As others have said you need to perfect the k turn for when the ground is a little wet and the day after it rains I have to stay off the really soft yards but since I only have a hand full of those it really doesnt hurt. Another reason I picked the 36 over the 32 is because of the wheels. The 32 has the old 36 tires and they look a little skinny to me. I run the tires in the 36 at around 16psi and it keeps the ridges from forming in the grass from the tires pushing the grass down. Overall the sentar sport has worked great for me but I would not get the 32 because of the tires and fixed deck.