1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Wright Stander or Great Dane (your opinion)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SidelinePropMgr, Jan 20, 2005.

1. SidelinePropMgr

SidelinePropMgr LawnSite Member

I am looking at purchasing one or the other this spring. I would like some feedback on which one you professionals prefer. Does the floating deck vs. the fixed deck make that much of a diference? SOUND OFF GUYS !!!
  2. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

try doing a search. i know i've seen this talked about before.
  3. Planet Landscaping

Planet Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I luv My Stander.But, I :waving: Never played with other standups.
  4. scottt

scottt LawnSite Senior Member

Like it was said above, a search will give you plenty of info on this topic. If the stander had the deck adjustment ease of the GD, it would be tough to beat. Try to demo them both. A demo is what made me choose the stander, but the GD isn't a bad machine either.

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

i just read in the new turf mag today that they did a field test report .the main concern was that it was a fixed deck, however they said it was a great mower. i sure in the heck wouldnt buy great dane. they have a serious problem with the hydro pumps going out.
  6. Pacific Nursery

Pacific Nursery LawnSite Member

I've had a ton of probs with my GD SS. These are older models with over a 1000hrs each. I love the stander concept, but the GD would have to prove to me that they've produced a better machine. BTW John Deere bought GD a few years ago and they now have a GD in Deere green.
  7. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

contact me and we may be able to work out a time you can come toy with mine.
  8. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

It was a great machine in the turf mag. i had a ton of fun demoing one for that article. I am waiting to demo the new 36" coming out in the spring. Fatter wheels and more engine rpms will make a big difference. Get a week tryout though. It didnt impress me till i got the hang of it and then i really put it to use.
  9. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Well my vote is the wright. But any one around here knows that.

Impact should be along soon to state his opinion too.
  10. DuallyVette

DuallyVette LawnSite Gold Member

I posted a while back. The Great Dane Super surfer & John Deere 657 are TOO heavy on the front casters. It totally sucks compared to a Great Dane ORIGIONAL surfer. We never adjust the deck height. The Wright stander is balanced (front to back) the same as the origional surfer. It handles like a prince. SS & JD will bury themself on a semi wet lawn that a Origional surfer will skip right over.