Wright Stander or Hustler Mini Fastrak??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jmhillrph, Apr 18, 2008.

1. jmhillrph

jmhillrph LawnSite Member

I'm a residential user looking to get a commercial quality mower. From browsing this forum, it seems like either of these mowers would probably serve me very well. My yard is just larger than 1 acre with about 1/3 on an incline that would be cross-cut lengthwise. Between the 36" Stander and the 42/16 Mini Fastrak which do you think would be my better choice? I can get the Fastrak for $4200-- haven't gotten a price yet on the Stander but expecting about $500 additional. Thanks in advance for any help any of you can provide.

2. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX LawnSite Gold Member

I would buy the stander...Very good mower...thats my #1 Mower!!..but your looking at $5000 or more..

3. olde_blue

olde_blue LawnSite Senior Member

The Wright will be much better on the hills than the Hustler midmount (my 36" stander is way better than my 48" exmark Z)--a large frame stander would be even better on hills, but a 48"/17hp one would run you about $6300, vs. $5000 for a 36"/15 hp. One idea: a conventional lawn tractor will be better across hills than Fastrac, it may even have as good of traction as the 36" Stander, although it would be more dangerous and prone to roll. It could not turn as well on hills as the Stander.

You may want to consider a 48" (or smaller) commercial-quality belt drive mower. It would be very safe on hills. You can probably get a 48", with a sulky, for under $3000. They are tough, cheaper (in the long run) to maintain, and fast enough for mowing one yard, You could even skip the sulky: you can walk-mow your acre with the 48" in about the time a homeowner with a 21" can mow 1/3 an acre. It's good exercise! It only gets tiring after 6 to 8 hours. . . :)

Don't forget the used market, but it is a good idea to have someone look at used equipment who has put alot of hours on a mower and knows what is prone to break, etc. The belt drives depreciate pretty fast, so you can get a deal on one.

4. logans lawns

logans lawns LawnSite Member

pick the wright.
    pretty good mower
    great reliabilty
    good cut

5. WHIPPLE5.7

WHIPPLE5.7 LawnSite Senior Member

I own a Fastrak and I must say if the Wright was more available to me and around the same price I would get it for sure over the Hustler.