wright stander owners

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by snap12.5, Dec 13, 2004.

1. snap12.5

snap12.5 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

i am thinking of buying a used 2000 model 52'' 1200 hrs. it has a new engine on it with warranty until august 2005. $3,300, is this a good deal??
    also, what problems have any wright owners experienced on these standers either when mowing or during transport?? any help appreciated.

2. truenorthlandscaping

truenorthlandscaping LawnSite Member

Hey Snap,
    I love these mowers and so do the guys. I've yet to experience a more efficient machine for properties averaging 1 acre or less, especially with lots of obstacles or steep hills. They're compact, the center of gravity is low, can fit several on a trailer. I think Great Dane's done a way better job of marketing their 'Super Surfer', but Wright is the original. I've demo'd the Surfers and I like the Stander better. We also own a Wright Centaur (fold down seat). We've got 2 for sale, will buy new next year. Contact me if you'd like to know more, truenorthlandscaping@yahoo.com.

3. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

You will find a bunch of supporters for the standers on this site. I have a 36" unit, and have to say that it has been a very solid unit. It has only had one minor problem but was not likely related to the Wright end of the product. I have about 500 hours, and it is extreamly reliable. I believe the 52 unit will be superior on hills, and less likely to rut then my 36. I do not know about the 52, but will say that my 36 does not cut very well in tall grass or moist grass. I know no mower is great in these conditions, but it is inferior to probably any mower I have previously owned. I was reminded of this fact just the other day as I was preping to put away my mowers for the winter. I did a leaf clean up the day before, 1 leaf clean up with it and the deck was completely packed. I mean from top to bottom. I have no idea how the blades even turned. It is just not a deck that is designed to clear material very far, or very fast. I like the mower as it is quick, nimble, reliable, and fun to drive, but am very dissatisfied with it's mowing performance in any condition other then perfect. Don't let my opinion disuade you, as many others will say their bigger mowers are awsome, but something to consider.

Good luck
    Jay

4. grassman2001

grassman2001 LawnSite Member

Around here you can get a 52 inch 19 horse new for between 5500 and 6000. Personally that is a whole lot of hours for 3300. I don't know where you are from in Ohio, but in cincinnati try Klei Mower. They usaully have great prices on thier customer appreciation day ( late Feb.). Good Luck!!!

5. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

About $2500 is what its worth. Its going to have the old stlye pumps, the unreiforced deck, and a few other minor things. One of mine is a 2000 model. I got the kit to reforce the deck and just welded it up. My new 2004 model makes the 1998 model I have look like a joke. I have had very few problems with mine. Mostly stuff the new version have been corrected for.

I love mine and would recommend them to anybody.

6. snap12.5

snap12.5 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Itsgottobegreen- how do people determine the value of lawn mowers? is there a book value that you look up to get $2500 for this stander? you mentioned that a 2000 model has the old pumps and un-reinforced deck. is there something wrong with the old pumps that i need to be aware of? and what do u mean "un-reinforced deck"? thanks for the input. i appreciate your help

7. Itsgottobegreen

There is nothing wrong with the old pumps. The new one have less linkages to them because they have built in auto return so the new ones are even more responsive to the controls. Also less wear parts. I have both, I was just letting you know that there are difference between the 2000 model and the new models.

I wheel and deal with lawn mowers and tractor on the side. So I know what the going prices are for most machines.

The reinforced decks of the new machines have the following.
    A piece of steel that is 1.5" by 1/4" that wrap around on the bottom of the left side of the deck. They also have 3 triangles of 1.5" by 1/4" that stick out further on the deck from the deck cover frame. One on each end and one in the center. They prevents any bending of the deck.

8. nitrotim

nitrotim LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

I just ordered 52" stander with the 19 hp kawi. I went with the 19 instead of the 23 because there aren't to many hills around here. I compared it side by side with the JD stander 54". The JD has longer wheel base and even though is has a floating deck i could see where it might be a problem scalpin. Isgottobegreen was one of the main reasons I bought it also since he has three of them.

9. truenorthlandscaping

truenorthlandscaping LawnSite Member

I like itsgottobegreen for having so many Wright's. Let me add that we get so many looks riding these mowers, and comments from people saying, "What is that thing?" it's worth having them for the attention alone. But honestly, compared to anything else I've ever used, I'd sum it up by saying 'so responsive it's scary'. They are just unbelievable on hills, tight areas, obstacles, and a darned nice cut. Plus you can fit more on a trailer. I've met some of the Wright guys in Louisville, plus Jim Velke. Nice guys, also rocket scientists...

10. Itsgottobegreen

So your saying if I had 6 of them you would buy 2. I love mine. Soon as I sell this Sentar 2 I have and it snows alot. There will be a 4th and a 5th one. Another 52" 23hp and a baby 32". I wish it was spring already.

A guy near me just bought 10 of them according to my dealer plus 5 more to other people. My competition is starting to gain an edge on me. After seeing me with an edge over them for so long. I was the only guy in town with them. Except for a few home owners with them.