Wright Stander problem

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Sweetwater, Apr 17, 2005.

1. Sweetwater

Sweetwater LawnSite Member

Have been using using WBs for life of business until end of last season. Bought Wright Stander (52", 23 Kohler) and have been very pleased. Performed 10 hr maintenance and performance of unit remained high until 17 hrs. Mower began leaving a mohawk streak just right of center in every lane.

Local dealer confirmed all settings and adjustments. I changed to new blades (oem type) and problem lessened. As I worked up towards my premium lawns at end of this week and as mower neared 23 hrs, the mohawk, 2" wide, 8-9" from discharge became very apparent! Left mower at shop yesterday after techs could find no problems.

Any ideas gentlemen??? I slowed down to a crepp to no avail. My 15 hp Metro 36 has no problems at these properties so I am NOT buying the thick turf arguement.

2. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

interesting....I assume the belts are tensioned properly???

Derek

3. Sweetwater

The belts are tensioned correctly...they might even be too tight! The blades are tight as well. This issue has the techs at dealership scratching their heads. The big kahuna of mower mysteries is supposed to check it out tomorrow. The thing is, we already went through this at the beginning of last week and now I am set back another day late.

A little venting there.

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Look at possibilty that spindle bolt has been bent and maybe a blade. Hard to check on units that you can't get under but take tension off belt so you can rotate the blades and check tip relative to edqe of deck. Sometime you can put a straight edge across the underside of the deck and measure up to the blade tip in several positions.

5. Sweetwater

I will check bolt...blades are straight for sure since they lay flat on concrete. My brother thought, wildly IMO, that maybe new dense growth was being pushed down by front right wheel and preventing cut. I guess it is a theory, but it seems unlikely to me.

6. Sweetwater

This mower now has 25 hrs and still displays the mohawk effect on every lawn it touches. Local dealer, who is great, spent half a day checking deck geometry and confirming with Wright. Wright gets a letter this week requesting full credit or replacement. I have never experienced this level of frustration with any machine.

7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

What cut height?

What deck pitch?

What engine RPM?

Do standers use blade spacers between spindle and blade?

Are there different blades that you could use? (IE: SCAG high lifts maybe?)

8. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I have friend that got a new deck from Toro for the same reason. My new Stander 52" is mowing great.

I assume you don't remember hitting anything. Don't let this turn you off to Standers. These kind of problems happen with all brands. It just sucks when you are the one with the problem. At least it is under warrenty......

Good Luck.....

9. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I'm still betting on improper deck pitch and low engine RPM's.

All engines loose RPM's as linkage wears.