1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Wright Stander problems

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Sweetwater, Apr 30, 2005.

1. Sweetwater

Sweetwater LawnSite Member

Here's a wierd one:

Bought a new Wright Stander at end of season last year (52/23). It has been great, mowing as well as WBs, no walking, and really helpful on tighter properties.

At 17 hrs it began leaving a 1-2" strip of uncut turf 6-8" inboard of the discharge. The problem continued regardless of blades, belt tension, turf thickness, turf wetness, whatever.

I left the machine with dealer, STI, who really gave a good going over, no charge! Back out into the field with the Stander and it still leaves mohawk.

Nasty e-mail to Wright and back to STI. Now dealer spends better part of day measuring geometry according to Wright technician and all seems to spec. STI mechanic mows section of turf with no problem. I feel stupid and off I go.

This week I changed blades every 7 hrs (not resharpened, new!) and still the problem persists. There is nothing left to check. This Stander went from factory fresh perfect results to crap in 17 hrs with no explanation available.

I am on my way to dealer today to ask for credit to use towrds another mower. I will swap for another Stander and pay difference or whatever. I guess the final blow was when a friend of mine (owns LCO, we help each other out a lot) stops by a job and laughs at my machine. His all work great and mine is jinxed.

Just venting, but also bracing myself for the "sorry we can not exchange, that Stander has almost 30 hrs on it"...
  2. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Well 6" to 8" inboard is where the front caster is located. So the front caster is rolling the grass over before it is cut.

What height are you cutting at?
    How many spacers above the blade?
    Is the deck level?
    What holes are the rear tire motor mounts and front caster assemblies in?
    Front caster tire pressure?
    What blades have you tried?

I believe from my own experience that you have the blades too high up inside the deck. The higher up the blades are in the deck. The more of the grass is left bent over after being ran over by the front caster or the front of the deck. The lower the blade are in the deck. The closer the grass is being cut to where it has not be bent over. Which gives a cleaner cut.

Does this make any sense to you? :confused: If not send me a PM and I will call you to explain.
  3. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Also try slowing down. You are better now with the mower so you are probably going faster.
    You do want the blades to be as far as possible from the top of the deck.

4. Lowe Mowing

Lowe Mowing LawnSite Member

I had the same problem. Took it to my dealer over 15 times and they tried all different kinds of ****. Nothing would work and i was getting pissed. So finally i call Wright and explain to them what it was doing. They say all this crap to check, but my dealer said everything was fine. Finally I tell Wright that I want a refund and they say they cant do that, but they can try one more thing. They offered to send a whole new deck to the dealer and have it put on. It was a brand new mower with about 30 hours and I was like its new but go ahead and try it. Nothing else worked so what did i have to lose?....NOTHING. They replaced the whole deck and now it runs and looks like a champ. The problem is completly gone and now i am satisfied with the mower. I would ask for a new deck and see if that does the job. If you have any other questions, give me a holler.