Wright Stander Question

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Rcgm, Mar 15, 2008.

1. Rcgm

Rcgm LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

I got a Wright stander rite height. I purchased it last year changed the oil and so on. Well yesterday I decided to get it ready for spring and when I cleaned under the deck I was looking for some grease fittings on the blade spindles and could not find them. Wright standers don't have blade spindle grease fittings? How do you grease them? Thanks to all that answer.

RCGM
    Brad

2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

You can't they wear out in about 600 hours.....Wright says they can't put certs on because you can't assume people will grease them:hammerhead: So I had our shop put some certs on mine, took the inside cover off the top and bottom bearing and put a blow out device on them.

3. kayeproperties

kayeproperties LawnSite Member

Thats why I threw that POS out. They wear out thats for sure!!! I was skeptical when I got an Exmark years ago and there was no way to grease them but they lasted and lasted way longer than the Toros I use to run which had grease fittings but the Wright Stander was a POS they didnt last at all. That was the worst machine I ever had. Slow, blades spin slow, no adjustment for deck heigth, everything that could wear out or go bad did and it never even had the tires replaced not did it make to 700 hours and it was just for back yards not heave long jobs. J U N K

4. wski4fun

wski4fun LawnSite Senior Member

They have sealed bearings. Some people think they last longer some think not so much. Make sure blades are balanced and you don't get stuff wrapped around spacers and spindle. I have had my stander since 2001 and it still runs well. Two spindle bearings have been replaced but that's about it.

5. Rcgm

from Indiana

I ot the rite height stander it is fine with 270 hours on it. But I also have a 2001 stander with 50 hours on it that I just purchased from a home owner and the spindles are screaming. I took it to a local shop to get it fixed. Do they have to replace the whole spindle or just the bearings. what you think that is going to cost me. I love the standers just never owned a mower that I could not grease the spindles.

6. wski4fun

wski4fun LawnSite Senior Member

Replace spindles yourself. I would be leary of a 2001 with only 50 hrs and bad bearings.

7. Rcgm

from Indiana

I got this 2001 stander from a friend actually didn't mean to say customer. It has low hours I seen it when he purchased it. Looks brand new I paid 1100 dollars for it runs like new looks like new just when I engage the blades sounds like a 747 starting up. I sold a old Ferris walkbehind for 1300.00 and purchased this back in January.

8. Jay19LM

Jay19LM LawnSite Member
    from Mo

On all my personal equipment if I can drill a hole and make it greaseable I do. I grease all idler pulleys with a grease needle. I take off elec pto clutch and grease the bearings. I even drilled and put a grease zerk on the outer ends of the transaxle on my johndeere. Haven't had a failure in 10yrs

9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Bering can be replaced if shaft not damaged....maybe $60. I think new they are around $200.