Wright Stander, Quick 36, and Toro Turbo Force - An Evaluation

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PTP, Apr 26, 2008.

1. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I mow residential lawns that are mostly around 1/4 acre. All of the mowers are 36".

Wright Stander

Strengths
    This mower is by far the least fatiguing of the 3. The controls are very ergonomic and it is easy to control. It is compact and mows very well in tight places. It does well on hills. It is adequately powered and can mow pretty much anything. It is well built and can take a lot of abuse. Repairs consisted of the usual items (belts, tires, etc.) and spindles. No other parts failed.

Weaknesses
    The overall weight is quite a lot. The dry weight is 620 pounds and with fuel and and operator, 850 pounds is not out of the question. As such, rutting in soft soil is an issue. The bermuda that I cut is sensitive and the stander will appear to be rutting even when the ground is dry because the growth of the grass is depressed in the tire tracks. The cut also leaves something to be desired. It cut's okay but not great.

Quick 36

Strengths
    This mower cuts perfectly when conditions are good. It is also very light weight (360 lbs) and has large tires which means that there is no rutting. The single hydro and manual steering also mean that there are never any divots in the turf. It is particularly good in tight places due to the easy reverse and the compact design. It also comes with a starter which is quite handy.

Weaknesses
    This mower does not cut well in wet or overgrown conditions. It tends to pack the grass in the deck and act as a rear discharge mower in long, wet conditions. Clumping in these conditions is a major issue. It also tends to push the grass over and leave a lot of uncut grass - double cutting is a must. This seems to be due to the short 3 blade design as well as the deck design. This mower, although commercial quality, is not built for abuse. The spindles are small and we have replaced quite a few. The belts wear out quickly and we have replaced several clutches. The cables also tend to break (this issue appears to be better on the newer models). The manual steering, although very well designed, tends to wear a guy out a little more at the end of a long day. The sulky, although it works, takes a little extra effort because of the single hydro design.

Toro belt drive Turbo Force

Strengths
    The cut that this mower gives rivals the Quick 36 in good conditions. It also mows the long, wet stuff like a champ - no double cutting and minimal clumping. This machine is built tough all around. It has a good design and lots of steel to back it up. The controls are ergonomic and easy to use once they are adjusted properly. It also steers itself and therefore (although I haven't used it yet) the sulky is easier to use.

Weaknesses
    Although it weighs significantly less than the Stander at 588 pounds, it is still 220 pounds heavier than the Quick 36. This leads to more rutting in marginal conditions. Also, if the Quick ever got stuck (which it pretty much never does) you could easily lift it out. The Toro takes a lot more effort and manhandling in those situations. The Toro is also a gear drive which means it doesn't work quite so well in tight spaces. The reverse leaves a lot to be desired. You also have to leave room to turn or you will leave divots if one wheel is not turning.

Conclusion
    The Toro is the winner for me. The ability to mow long and/or heavy grass is a major factor. It leaves a great cut and the weight/tendency to rut is not great but it is acceptable. The gear drive leaves some to be desired but to upgrade to hydros is a major weight issue.

The Quick 36 is next because of it's light weight and it's quality of cut in good conditions. It's maneuverability in tight conditions is also a big plus. The thing that knocked it out of first place is the long/wet grass issue. I would also like to see something a little more stoutly built but I am sure that there would be a weight trade off.

The Wright, although it is by far the easiest to use, comes in last because of weight and quality of cut issues. It is a very strong machine but when you have multiple customers calling and requesting that we not use the Stander, we got the message. I believe that an improved deck design and oversized tires would do a lot for this machine and may even bump it into first place.

2. IndyChad

IndyChad LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Do the same test in a different part of the country and different turf and you will probably have different results.

3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We have the Wright Sentar that has pretty wide tires but our experience is like yous....doubt if we get another one for residential. I definitely would not get a Quick I had a unit with basic same drive and that unit will wear you out if you are using it on small yards and slopes. I thougth the Toro with the floating deck looked good at this years show and price was good. We run a lot of Scag and Snapper dual Hydro units but was think about going back to belt drive,

Good analysis.

4. bill8379

bill8379 LawnSite Senior Member

That guy named Lawntamer made a thread about this. He said he welded some steel channels on the rods that are attached to the T-bar and run down the sides of the mower. He said it prevents them from flexing and makes the gear drive back up like a hydro.

I haven't tried it yet, I don't have a welder but I always got that in the back of my mind.

One other thing about the toro, my Toro anyway (36" 15 HP) with a mulch kit it mulches like a dream.

5. PTP

from Tulsa

Actually, the small yards are where the Quick shines - as long as it is not long and wet. The single hydro is an issue but IMO it is a minor one. It takes a little more effort than the Toro to turn but not a lot more.

6. deere615

deere615 LawnSite Fanatic

Nice review

7. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

Good reiview, but here in MD. The stander wins Hands down, minimal rutting at all. Less operator fatigue. Much faster and compact,more mowers on even the small trailers.

8. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

Thanks for the review, we run T-bars, but I have been itching to buy a Stander, I had no idea they are so heavy, we mow a lot of sandy soil, and a lot of our clients tend to over water, there is no doubt that we would have rutting issues. As for my suggestion on the T-bar mod mentioned above, I don't think you would actually need a welder Bill, just get some 1/2" square tubing, cut it to length and slide it over the control rods which extend down from the T-bar to the tensioner pulley. This really makes it so you can use reverse, even on a sulky. I back up hills all the time without leaving the sulky.

Very good review, very helpful:clapping:

9. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

Did your Wright have the quick height adjustment? Just curious as to how useful that may or may not have proved to be...

Makes me feel better, too, being a Toro T-Bar owner, that you voted for it. I've only owned T-Bar's and a Lesco WB... and have wondered often if the grass was greener on the other side...

10. PTP

from Tulsa

The Wright was a fixed deck. I didn't think that I was missing much by not having the RH mower.