1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Wright Stander - Rapid Height or Fixed?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by turfsolutions, Feb 10, 2008.

1. turfsolutions

turfsolutions LawnSite Senior Member

I have owned a 52" Wright Stander fixed deck for 3 years now along with an exmark rider. I have read through many of the posts on the stander.

My favorite Pros:

Fast and maneuverability.
    Takes up less trailer space.
    High Productivity

My Cons:

Clumps in wet or even moist conditions if grass thick
    Slow to change cutting heights

My questions:

I am thinking about purchasing another Wright Stander to replace my exmark with vacuum system which I will keep in the garage until fall cleanup season or use as backup if needed.

Anyone have any complaints with their RH model as compared to the fixed deck?
    Is less foot room on the platform a major issue with the RH model.
    Have they improved the quality of cut to avoid clumping?
    Finally - would you recommend forgetting the stander and getting a Sentar to compliment my existing 52inch.

Thanks in advance.
  2. cutedge

cutedge LawnSite Member

To answer some of your questions:
    Have have both fixed decks(36'', 48'', 61'') and RH (48'' & 52'')
    I love the ease of deck height adjustment and the fact that it is easier to change blades. I have noticed that the 52'' RH is a little more prone to scalping than my 48'' fixed, but it's easily avoidable
    You really won't notice the difference in foot platform room once you get used to it after a couple hours.
    The quality of cut is very improved over the fixed height standers, it cuts and stripes very well and never clogs for me.
    I would recommend you to get the Stander over a Sentar. One, being that I am biased toward sitting while mowing due to the back problems it can cause. It is very bad to sit on a mower since your back is taking all the grief. Visibility is so much better standing than sitting. I would definitely recommend you to get the RH for your next mower
  3. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

Why is the cut quality better on theRH? I almost bought a Sentar Sport. Sit or stand.
  4. Greatdane522003

Greatdane522003 LawnSite Member

I wouldn't get a RH I see alot of them for sale still pretty new, that says something with there
  5. CustomKare

CustomKare LawnSite Member

I have both a Sentar and a RH Stander. Love them both. I see no need to buy a Sentar though. I yanked my seat off. Just like Cutedge said, I rather stand be more aware and I feel I am more productive standing. I will say though the seat is very comfortable and I see no back problem issues from that. The 52" definately scalps on uneven turfs if you are not careful but that is the same with any wide spand deck. As I mentioned many times in previous posts I have a 52" 19HP machine. The 19HP is a dog. Go for the 23HP big difference. Cut quality could be better. It does stripe nice but I had to play around with various blades to get a cut I wanted. I had a chance to view the cut quality up close from a property next to the one I was doing and they were using an Exmark. Big difference in quality. The exmark was far superior. 3 years I have had the WRIGHT machines and in my opinion they are the RIGHT machines for waht we do! Good luck to all in 08!
  6. turfsolutions

Most of the ones I see for sale are 32" and 36" models. I haven't seen many low hour 52" RH for sale. Let me know where you are seeing them in case I go that direction.
  7. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

I've owned both RH and fixed. Definitely go for RH. Makes life a whole lot more simple.
  8. rogerwb

rogerwb LawnSite Member
    from Idaho

I have a 48" RH. It's great! Just pull the lever to adjust. A very soild design IMO.
  9. turfsolutions

Alright. Today I saw the Rapid height adjust and fixed deck side by side. Big difference. I thought they would be the same mower with a better height adjustment system, however they are two different mowers in my opinion. First, the RH only comes in a 19hp as compared to a 25hp on the fixed. Second, the RH's tires are about 3-4inches narrower and lower to ground than the fixed which makes a big difference in traction. I took them both for a spin in the parking lot and the RH was spinning wheels on the asphalt. They are coming out with a new model in May that will be a stander on a sentar frame with bigger tires and a bigger engine but it is bigger and heavier and much more expensive. Defeats the purpose. Right now I am leaning toward a fixed deck 52. I got a good deal. $6660 new. What do you guys think?
  10. Ready to Mow

Ready to Mow LawnSite Bronze Member

I wonder why. I guess a 32 is pointless if you can go balls to the wall with a bigger unit. Now where you have a lot of small properties I think it would be excellent.