Wright Stander Rear Tire/Rim Swap?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by stang2244, Jun 13, 2008.

1. stang2244

stang2244 LawnSite Senior Member

I have an 06 36" stander and it came with the 18x6.50-8 rear tire. This is pretty small for such a heavy machine and I have battled rutting constantly on some yards. I've adjusted the pressure, changed cutting directions many times, yada yada yada. The bottom line is 800 plus pounds of me and machine doesnt work with the current tires. I know that the new standers come with an 18x8.50-8 rear tire and it looks much more adequate. I can tell the rim on the newer ones is wider but has a deeper offset. My question is does anyone know or can they find out if it is possible to swap a set of rims and tires from a new stander onto mine? Or if it is possible to put a wider tire on my current rim and then use spacers between the rim and hub to avoid rubbing? Any help would be MUCH appreciated.

Thanks
    Andy

2. Wright Mfg

Wright Mfg Guest

Andy,

Working off memory from a few years ago before I upgraded the Small Stander with the 8.5 wide tires and new frame, I tried 7.5" wide tires on the old frame using the same rims used for the 6.5" tires. The fit result was that the tire clearance toward the inside was about as close as you could get to the frame plus the Hydro hoses needed to be adjusted just right to keep from rubbing the tires. Also there was no trim edge, in fact ,I believe the tire stuck out from the deck about 1/4" or so. On the new frame, I eliminated the 2 inch flatbed between the tire and cockpit sidewall, which freed up room for the 8.5 tire. If you can tolerate the tires sticking out past the deck, you could use the 8.5 tires, but i'm sure you would need to space the rim out from the hub or get offset rims.

Good luck,
    Jim V

3. stang2244

Jim,

Thanks a lot for the good information. So if I could deal with the tires sticking out would the newer rims fit on mine? Or maybe with some spacers? I just dont really know of a place to get rims that small so I thought it would be easiest to just order the stander rims from my dealer.

Thanks
    Andy

4. Wright Mfg

Wright Mfg Guest

Actually, I just did some measuring here. It seems the rim for the 8.5 tire has the same offset to the inside as the 6.5 rim. I think the factory 8.5 will mount up with no spacers or if you need spacers, a minimal number of washers should do the trick. The tire will just stick out from the deck about 1 inch to 1 1/2 inches on each side I think. If you have 36" Gates to get through, you may have a problem.

Jim

5. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I put the 8.5 tires on my Stander a while back. You will need some spacers - a couple of washers should do the trick.

Yes, the tires will be slightly wider than the deck but I was still able to get through the tight gates - the tires just rubbed on the sidewall some.

6. stang2244

Jim,

Thats good news. The loss some trim doesn't bug me and the gates isnt much of an issue. Thanks a lot for all the helpful info!

PTP,

You just put the 8.5 tires on the stock rims? Did they fit ok and give you more with even with the more narrow rim?

Thanks in advance,
    Andy

7. RBall151

RBall151 LawnSite Member
    from KS

Same Question ^^

8. PTP

from Tulsa

Yes, they were the stock rims and it seemed to work out just fine. The rim size matters but not as much as the tread width matters. 2" isn't a really big discrepancy when it comes to tire/rim matching.

9. RBall151

RBall151 LawnSite Member
    from KS

Will the the extra 2" on the tire stop the problem of rutting? I have the 6.5" tires in the rear on my 36" stander and even if I take the time to turn like a three point turn, it still ruts in some areas. I agree that the 18x6.50-8 rear tires don't cut it when it weighs close to 800lbs with the operator. I called my local shop today and they don't think it will make a difference. Where do you buy the 18x8.50-8 tires?

10. PTP

from Tulsa

Well, the weight will be spread over about 30% more tread in the rear. Nothing will stop rutting in all conditions but wider is better.