Wright Stander Rear Wheel Dragging

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by burtandruss, Aug 12, 2014.

1. burtandruss

burtandruss LawnSite Member

Hello all. I have a 2006 36" Wright Stander (small frame), model WS3615KAWRE, serial 28963, appx 500 hours, bought used a few years ago with appx 400 hours. Mower runs and cuts fine. The problem I'm having is when I'm mowing straight and go to slow down to turn (backing off on the speed control bar), the left wheel seems to not release properly/fast enough, and will drag slightly, tearing up the turf. Right wheel releases fine as it should. I've also noticed the left wheel/tire sticks out about 1/2" farther than the right measuring from each fender, if that has a bearing on anything (maybe meaning something was changed before I received it) Tires are identical

Any and all thoughts are welcome and appreciated. Pete

2. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

Take the tire off and see if your having grass accumulate behind it.

3. burtandruss

Will do. Thanks

4. xstatikplus

xstatikplus LawnSite Senior Member

While the tire is off take a very close look at the wheel motor frame. They can crack over time from bumps in the lawns
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. burtandruss

Tire removed, not a bit of grass had accumulated and wheel motor frame/welds perfect.

6. Tanum

Tanum LawnSite Member

As wheels are hydraulic motor driven I would start there. Any good hydraulic guy would be able to rectify it quickly. Had same problem on similar machine. Transpired it was a faulty valve. While he was at machine he changed all the O rings too, full system flush and new oil. No problems since.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. xstatikplus

xstatikplus LawnSite Senior Member

I agree next step is hydrolic system. Was hoping for you it would be the cheaper/easy fix. Have a few beers and some ribs at the dinosaur BBQ :) awesome food there
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. burtandruss

Yup. I kind of thought that it would come down to the hydraulic system but you never know. Sometimes you don't even think of the simple things. Thanks for your help.

9. kawakx125

kawakx125 LawnSite Bronze Member

same issue on my 36

10. burtandruss

Did you get it diagnosed and repaired, or are you still living with it like me for a winter project?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2014