1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Wright Stander report

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tbarchaser, Aug 10, 2003.

1. Tbarchaser

Tbarchaser LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

Picked up the 42" 17 kaw Wright Stander on fri night and got a chance to mow on sat. Its a fast little thing. It has a custom mulch kit and does a better job mulching than my toro proline (exmark) And it climbs like a goat. It is so much more stable than it looks and it went everywhere the walkbehind did and then some.

GREAT cut
    Less trailer space than a w/b
    very ergonomic for a tall person.

Complicated blade hight adjustment
    A friggen bar across your shins

All in all a very productive machine for small property's.
  2. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

Glad to hear the good news.
  3. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I bought two toro wb's this year(one used) and they are fine, but in retrospect, for the type lawns I use them on, I wish I'd picked up a 42" stander instead. A wb (especially belt drive) and velke is just not as agile and easy to use. Glad to hear yours mulches well. That was the deal killer for me. Wright didn't seem too proud about or specific on how well they mulched and I couldn't chance it not handling my Bermuda and Zoysia lawns.
  4. Can you post some pictures of that custom mulch kit? Maybe one shot from under the deck?
  5. Strawbridge Lawn

Strawbridge Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I got mu 36 with the same emgine this spring and it has done all I expected it to do. I just put Gators on it to see if they are better than the standard blades for bagging. I too would be intersted in Mulch kit info.
  6. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

What is the total length of stander??I got a little room left on trailer.:)
  7. http://www.wrightmfg.com/

I don’t know about the 42”, but the 36”, 52”, and 61” are all just under 60” long. Might be able to straddle some things with the front casters when you’re loaded on a trailer.
  8. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

Brucec32 and Bluesteel,

Tbarchaser's stander was originally purchased from the dealer I got my Sentar from. This is the dealer that made the custom mulch kit. Apparently, Wright Mfg calls the block-off plate attached over the discharge side of the deck a mulch kit. Anyone who has tried knows that to properly mulch you must have your entire deck baffled. My dealer installs the Wright block off plate and then manufactures/installs baffles that completely surround each individual blade under the deck. It looks very similar to a mulch kit you would find on an Exmark, Toro, etc. All I know is that my 61" Sentar mulches better than any mower I've ever owned. I can cut 5in St Augustine in the rain and when I'm done it looks like it was bagged. No lumps, no clumps, perfect. Oh, and by the way, I don't have to go slow either. I can fly along at nearly top speed. Next time I change blades I'll try and remember to take a picture and post it.
  9. So is this a welded-permanent installation or bolt-on?
  10. Tbarchaser

Tbarchaser LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

I have inspected the mulch kit throughly and it is bolted in, and appears that the holes were drilled in the deck, I must say it looks just like a factory mulch kit. Very professional and crisp, they do a great job.

I agree with mowerman90, I too can run thru wet 5-6" St. Augustine at full speed and get no clumps and VERY FEW stragglers. This lawn I did on sat in the rain and ran full speed, the toro walk behind w/sulky I have to run it in third gear and double cut nearly every week due to the heavy growth. Not with the Stander. Its a fine machine!