Wright Stander RH vs Wright Stander Fixed Deck

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JaysLawns, May 9, 2008.

1. JaysLawns

JaysLawns LawnSite Member

Hey guys Im debating on these two decks of the Wright Stander. I am looking to buy a 36" Wright Stander but I have two dealers and one says the rapid height cuts pretty good but the other dealer says he wont even carry the rh. I demoed the rh and i thought it cut pretty decent but I cant see paying an extra 1300 just for the rh? What do you guys think from experiences? A lot of guys say the regular fixed deck cuts way better than the rh. Help guys. Thanks.

2. Youngone07

Youngone07 LawnSite Member

The rh might be easier to change heights but they also break easier. Go with the fixed
  3. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Coming from a long time used of wright standers. GO FIXED or go home. Not worth the extra weight on the 36"
  4. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

You are supposed to spray or lubricate those joints on the RH's. No problems here.
  5. olde_blue

olde_blue LawnSite Senior Member

The RH's are just Sentar Sports with a taller upright assembly and no seat. Since they were designed to be Sentars, they are nose heavy (to counterbalance the seated operator hanging off the rear end). Side by side, the engine and hydro pumps are at least 2-3 inches further ahead of the rear wheels on a RH vs. a fixed deck, plus they have 90 lbs of extra frame and lift mechanism out front.

The bottom line: they don't handle as well as the fixed deck. The whole point of a Wright Stander is its great handling; I wouldn't want to compromise it, however tempting the ability to easily adjust height on the quarter inch would be.

Wright could fix the RH's balance problem, but it would cost money, because they would have to make a new frame. . .

The RH's aren't as expensive as you noted, they are only about $500 more than a 17 hp, electric start, fixed deck. The 17 hp engine is about a $700 option.
  6. JaysLawns

Ok guys keep them coming, any more experiences I know a lot of guys love Wright Standers on here. Thanks.

7. lawns Etc

lawns Etc LawnSite Silver Member

I had a 32 Stander ab=nd a 36 RH the RH you can set it a 5" and jump the moon the 32 you have problems jumping 3'' curb
  8. MortonLawn

MortonLawn LawnSite Senior Member

go fixed. fixed deck handles very well!:)
  9. JaysLawns

Im more concerned about the cut quality. Does the fixed deck really cut better than the rh? Thanks.

10. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We are happy with the sentar RH and 17hp kaw, with the seat. At this time we got 1000 hrs on it and use it in the mulch mode year round. The height adjustment is worth a lot to us......in tall grass raise it up on first cut and lower for second. I don't know about any balance problem ....we have the wide tires and do seem some rutting just like on big ZTR unit but no a major deal. Some of the fixed decks have smaller tires and that is a problem with real rutting lines. We had some warranty problems but dealer and manf handled them quickly and design changes have been made. Kaw engine has a weak starting system(starter and relay) and had an oil seal go out but that isn't a Wrigth problem. All in all a very very productive machine compared to 36WB.....we sometimes cut areas that normally use a 48" ztr if big unit is not available. Seat is nice sometimes.