Wright Stander Rip off?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Droffaws, Jul 14, 2004.

1. Droffaws

Droffaws LawnSite Member
    from KCMO

Here's the deal,

I purchased a new 36" Wright Stander for $4280 at a dealer and he said it was a promotional deal, so I say ok and buy it and told him I would pick it up the next day.

Then a few hours later the guy calls me back and says the promotion ran out on the 3rd of July and that he can't give me that price and that it would be more like $4800. I told him he needed to figure something out about getting me the promo deal, cause I wasn't going to pay $4800 for something he told me was $4280. He calls me back and says that their other store had one that was purchased on that promotional plan and that I had to pick it up over there. I asked if I could just get one from him instead of driving 20-30 minutes to the other location. He said no, because it had to be that model because of the serial number was the one purchased under the promotion.

So I go the next day and pick up the mower. It looks good and clean except there were a few little rust spots on the top of the front wheels, I think they were storing it outside with a tarp over it. Anyway I checked the serial number and the amount of hours on it (3/10). I drive away and use it for about 3 hrs that day and notice that the hours hadn't changed from the (3/10) that I picked it up at.

I'm I getting hosed? Are they trying to sell me a used machine? How can I tell if there are more hours on it than the ones I put on?

2. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

Sound like the hour meter might be disconnected. It might be a return, demo, or just been driven areond the shop, or it could be legit. Contact wright with the serial number and seee if they have a record of it being purchased and returned or used as a demo. They may or may not tell you.
    It does sound fishy.

3. Droffaws

Droffaws LawnSite Member
    from KCMO

Does anyone know where to look to see if has been disconnected?

4. shiznitttt

shiznitttt LawnSite Member

Just take it back, and shop somewhere else, maybe this will wake the store manager up and get you what you want.

5. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

There are two wires that plug onto the hour meter. They go on and off easily. Just look inside the Control Panel and you can see if one has been pulled off.

You should have not problem getting your money back under these fraudulent circumstances. Furthermore, I would call the Factory and complain if you don't get satisfaction.

Now, on the other hand.... if you like the machine and want to keep it, I would renegotiate the price for buying a used machine.

6. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with shiznitt, take it back and demand your money and go buy it elsewhere. Screw him, sounds like he isn't on the up & up.

7. energy

energy LawnSite Member

Was that for the 17 electric or 15 recoil? Did you check how clean the underside of the deck was before you used it? You can often see and tell if a mower is brand new or slightly used, trust your instincts. You'll love the mower by the way.

8. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

That does sound VERY shady... I would check the meter, the deck and if you do find that they aren't on the UP&UP, Personally, I'd pursue legal action against them for fraud.:(

9. Droffaws

Droffaws LawnSite Member
    from KCMO

It was the 15 recoil. I think it was new....when I picked it up everything looked new (everything was extremely clean, the lube on the casters was clean, the deck was clean) The only thing was some rust on the top of the casters, but I think it was because they store them outside.

10. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Sounds like it was probably new. A little rust, nevermind that. A non-working hour meter, take it back and make them fix it. I had a similar deal with my Exmark dealer. They had a field day showing all their new Exmarks. They are still the first and only dealers in town. Guy quotes me $3600 for a new 36" TTHP. It sounds like a good deal to me, so I go and get loan. Take the money to go and make purchase. Guy says "No way can I sell that mower for $3600, it's going to be $4400". Then tells me that the guy that gave me the quote doesn't really know what he is saying sometimes and this has happened before. Needless to say, I didn't purchase from him. I bought a used one with about 15 hours on it for $3700. Same dealer told my friend that Shindiawa did not make the T230 and sold him a T231 instead. More than likely, he did not have one in stock and didnt want my friend to go elsewhere.