Wright Stander Tips and Striping

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Droffaws, Jul 12, 2004.

1. Droffaws

Droffaws LawnSite Member
    from KCMO

I just purchased a 36" Wright Stander and this is the first commercial mower I've ever owned and operated. Still working on mowing straight lines and getting good striping.

Any tips for this newbie? Also, what is a good deck height, 3"?

2. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

They are a little tougher to get the hang of than other commercial mowers. Start off in a slower speed until you have the controls down pat. After awhile you will pick up speed and handle it with ease. Good luck....

3. Droffaws

Droffaws LawnSite Member
    from KCMO

How about the deck height? 3" seems to be a little short.

4. Droffaws

Droffaws LawnSite Member
    from KCMO

Hello? Anybody?

I know this isn't the most interesting topic, but I could use the info.

5. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Sorry I have been putting in some long hours this week.

But as the stander "I love them" kid. I think I can help. I want another one next year. 52" 23 hp kawi. I can't wait.

I used to cut at 3", but with the amount of growth this year do to rain. I raised it to 3.5" Also solved the scraping the trailer ramp when getting on and off. Just keep the deck level. It cuts better. Try to keep the blades as low as you can compared to the bottom of the deck. It cuts better. Gator blades are your friend with standers. I run doubles in spring and fall. The mulch kits work pretty good.

I always tell people it takes a while to get used to the stander's controls. Very touchy. But I like it that way. You can have alot more control over it.

A striping kit is great. But wright doesn't build one. I have shop built ones. Get yourself some rubber, some steel, something to lift your stander off the ground, some bolts, a tap, some tools. You can built them very easy. (the 1st one took 3 hours with thinking time, the next one 1 hour) It works great.

The 36" model can leave ruts, if its wet. So be careful when turning if its been raining. It helps when you want to get over something or if you get stuck or for fun.

Keep the front caster spindles greased. Or its $35 out of your pocket for new bushings. (mine wore out from operating in dusty environments. And not greasing them everyday, only weekly)

Learn how to pull a wheelie and keep it. I can get about 300 ft with mine and they are 52" models. The 36 being so light can get much further with out even trying. It helps when you want to get over something or if you get stuck or for fun.

Were is Maclawn when you need him. He also could help here. he loves them just as much as me.

6. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

Itsgottobegreen...knows his stuff he has helped my alot with my Stander....

Derek

7. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

You covered it bro.

Only thing i would add is to be sure to mess with the deck pitch. The standers are so adjustable, you will be able to dial it in to your specific needs. Try deck pitch of somewhere between level and 1/2"... youll see the differences and sooner or later youll find what does best for you.

Also, dont drive in the same tracks every week. Alternate lines weekly by 45 degrees to minimize compaction, especially with that 36. Oh, and if you go under ill take your 36 off your hands.

8. Droffaws

Droffaws LawnSite Member
    from KCMO

I'm not planning on going under, but if I do you'll be the first to know...thanks for the encouragement

9. Droffaws

Droffaws LawnSite Member
    from KCMO

Itsgottobegreen....thanks for the tips

10. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

No problem. If you got anymore. Just let me know, since I am just around the corner from the wright factory. I got a bunch of friends that work there. So if I don't know I can find out real quick.

I have a double checker board patterns on all of my accounts. It keeps down on compaction.