Wright Stander vs Hydro WB with velke ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by REALSLOW, Jul 17, 2006.

1. REALSLOW

REALSLOW LawnSite Senior Member
    from FLORIDA

I am bidding a new job it is BIG with lots of small islands and mounds and waves. The people who have been doing it have been using the lawn swine ( BIG ZTRs ) on it and I mean it is trashed . I like the lawn pigs (ZTRs) don't get me wrong I own 2 pigs my self but they have serious limitations and the folks doing this account are about to find out when they get canned.

I have a bunch of hydro walk behinds with velkies but this job is real moundy, curbs, chopped up and wavy. I have always not been satisfied with a Hydro WB in this situation how much better is the Wright Stander with rapid height in this situation ? THANKS!

2. Dashunde

Dashunde LawnSite Senior Member

Probably not much better.

I'd pass on it if its that big and full of humps... it'll be a weekly pita.

3. REALSLOW

from FLORIDA

Why do you say that?, do you own both?

4. jazak

jazak LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

I would get the Wright Stander its a real nice machine. For the hard you will be using it on it will be better then a WB w/ velke or sulky but you will still feel the bumps just not as bad. Here are some pics of the stripes it left on my yard and it has no striper kit or mod for striping on it. Those are my two lazy dogs in the back.

BTW the pics are horrible so don't bother telling me cause I know.

pics2 004.1.JPG

pics2 003.1.JPG

pics2 006.1.JPG

5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Definitely don't get the Stander for that application. We have both and we like our Sentar 36" with rapid height but it don't work real well on unlevel areas. And you can't jump curbs without the Walker curb ramp. We use 21" Snappers or trimmers for small areas, and go to the 36" WAlker if it is large. The Walker will hug the unlevel area pretty well. We bought a used Walker for areas that are very uneven.

6. REALSLOW

from FLORIDA

The reason I ask is because I have used the old style Great Dane stander and they were real good and I could back them over curbs and push them up and over curbs. I have problems with the velkies on hills and this job is way to big to walk it with a hydro WB.

The Wright does have one major flaw that I can see that the old style Great Dane does not the platform is fixed and not spring loaded. I hear people complaining that the Wright Stander is uncomfortable after a while, I could ride an old style Great Dane for 4 or 5 hours with no problem with a spring loaded platform.

The new style Great Dane or John Deere stander is out of the ?, I rented a J.D stander for a day PEEYEWWWWWWWWWWWW is all I can say the redesign really suffered after Dane Scags lost the patent rights to wright.

7. Dashunde

Dashunde LawnSite Senior Member

Wb, yes.. Stander, no.
    They are somewhat the same though, in terms of overall dimensions, wheelbase, track, etc...
    I doubt that a Stander would do any better than a wb on the job you described.

8. Mow"N"Bud

Mow"N"Bud LawnSite Member

I demoed both before I bought my walk-behinds. The standers felt top heavy with me on them, and I'm not a big guy. I felt off balance, especailly on any kind of hill or when going through any kind of rough area I felt like I would get slung off. Also standers have a tendency to do the same things ZTR's do which is mess up the grass, which it sounds like that is what has already been done. You don't want to make it worse. If you get the account you want to show the customer your equipment is better, because it improves the look. Use it as a selling point. I also have a ztr, but it is used for big areas only say 1 1/2 to 2 acres or more. Walk-Behinds are my choice for small areas and residential especially when the customer can look out the window, and the last thing you want them to see is a big mark where your ztr or stander rubbed the grass bald.

9. petekief

petekief LawnSite Senior Member

how about one of those sulkeys you can lift out of the way - fold it down - fly from island to island - step off - fold it up - cut - fly again - always wanted a stander though - seems like a great concept - funny - like most things here - some guys love em - and some guys hate em

10. REALSLOW

from FLORIDA

I was using 52 inch toro hydros with a velkie and a 52 Great dane early style and there was no comparison the GREAT Dane stomped the Toro WB in productivity and on slopes, I have never owned a Wright stander I am just trying to find out how they compare.