1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Wright Stander vs. Walk-behind with sulky

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Wayne Offiler, Jun 3, 2001.

1. Wayne Offiler

Wayne Offiler LawnSite Member

I presently have a 52" Bunton hydro with a Proslide. 18 HP Vanguard pulls quite well, but machine is not designed for high speed.
    I estimate my top speed at 4 to 4 1/2 MPH.
    I demoed a 52" Wright Stander in a parking lot, so do not have a feel for its mowing capability.
    Question is, would I be gaining much in productivity by going to the Stander?
    Has anyone gone from a WB/sulky set up to a Stander? Comments?
  2. SummitFarmer

SummitFarmer LawnSite Member

Some things that I didn't like about the stander was that it took away the "out front" deck that the W/B had and that at 6'5", that additional 8-10" it raised me up in the air took away some low branch areas I could get to before.
  3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Plus with the Standers and that overall design, you are no longer able to push down on the handles and lift the front of the deck to get over obstacles/or whatever. Just a thought.
  4. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

The speed of a Stander is about 7-8 MPH. I only demoed one a little on the turf and it got around pretty good. You definately loose some tree clearance though. It isn't as awkward as I first thought it to be.

OBRYANMAINT LawnSite Senior Member

i tried one for a day last week i think it was a very maneauverable machine,i think you can get many places closer....cut was good , same as above posts cannot get around trees well at all and i stand6' 3''

and did not like it the way it made me stand
  6. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a stander & love it. The only drawbacks are the afore mentioned tree problem, and the fact that the deck & wheel widths are both equal. Not having an offset deck makes trimming around obstacles & trees etc. more difficult than with the WB's.
  7. summitgroundskeeping

summitgroundskeeping LawnSite Senior Member

All thoes standers have the same hydro controls as my Scamper. But with my Scamper I can do trees better and control the front end with my body and arm rather than the hydros on rough terrain. I like my w/b just fine. I'm just stubborn.
  8. danlawnser

danlawnser LawnSite Senior Member

I would go with a great dane scamper and put a sulky on it that has casters. I think the scamper goes like 7 mph. It would be cheaper too.
  9. BigEd

BigEd LawnSite Senior Member
    from MD

I demo'd a great dane super surfer and I did not like it.Everytime you would hit a bump it would send a pain up my back and the front wheels came up of the ground on inclines but I am 300 pounds!What I did like is that you can step off the platform and the mower stays running as long as you hold down the controls,so now you have a scamper type walk behind too for trees and hills.
  10. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I have a great dane surfer, same thing basically, and i love it. Used it as a rental for a few days before i bought it and i hated it because of the situation with trees, but got used to it quick. You may want to look at a great dane if they sell them around where you are, the new super surfer has wider tires, and the center of gravity is changed to make it more stable, looks great.