Wright Stander vs. Walkbehinds

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bethelboy, Jun 21, 2005.

1. Bethelboy

Bethelboy LawnSite Member

How does a Wright Stander perform on hills compared to your average walk-behind with sulky?

This goes for up and down on hills as well as across hills. Thanks.

2. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Nothing comes close to a stander on hills. Since you can shift your weight while riding the stander. If you lean into the hill. You apply more weight to the upper drive tire. Giving it more traction. You lean into the machine when going up hill to put weight on the front end. You lean back and swat slightly to put more weight behind the rear tires. To let you have control while going down hill. I used to have a property with a 42 degree hill. It could cut it. But I have a lot of practice on hills with the stander. I wouldn't recommend a rookie trying to do that steep of a hill. I wish I still did it. But I lost it to a scab who used a 21" to cut the steep hill. HA HA

The only thing walkbehind I have seen come close to the stander on a hill was a brickman rig. They had a 61" hydro scag with duals rear wheels. But it would tear up the grass really bad.

3. Bethelboy

Bethelboy LawnSite Member

how about going around hills...not up and down...you know what I mean. A stander seems taller than a walkbehind making it seem like it could flip on its side easier.

4. MORETORQUE

MORETORQUE LawnSite Member

There is no comparison,I have not used the wright stander but I have used the old style Greatdane stander. The best do it all mower I have ever used, it will mop the floor with a walkbehind bad! Do not buy a new John deere or the new Greatdanre stander TRAAAAASH!

5. Itsgottobegreen

Not to be mean or anything. But did you even read my post. :angry:

You shift your weight around to provide better traction. When going sideways on a hill you lean into the hill. The engine sits at the same level as a walkbehind. It just looks taller. It does better sideways than it does going up and down.

You can't flip a stander. I have tried. The only way it could flip is backwards. But there is two antiflip wheels to prevent that. And they do work.

6. Bykerkyle

Bykerkyle LawnSite Member
    from KS

You cant raise the deck on a stander right??? but you can raise the deck on a walkbehind.

7. MORETORQUE

MORETORQUE LawnSite Member

The one draw bacl to a Old style great dane was it had the spacers in the front to change height but ayt the same time it is simple and reliable. I find the floating decks are way more maintenace but if they are right they do usually cut better WHEN THEY ARE RIGHT! I find it hard to keep one cutting straight if you abuse them.

8. Itsgottobegreen

Yes you can raise the deck on the stander. But its by removing and replacing the front spacers.

As for the walkbehind. Depends on wheather or not it has a flooding deck or not. Fixed deck walkbehinds use the same system as the stander for adjusting the deck. The floating decks usally have four pins you remove and lift the deck to the desired height an reinsert the pins.

I personally hate floating decks. Way too much maintain to keep them level.

Now if you are saying raise the deck, like to get over something in the lawn, etc. Then you just lean back and grab the controls real quick. This causes you to pull a wheelie. So you can ride just on the back wheels to get over something. Take a few times to get used to.

9. Nathan 281

Nathan 281 LawnSite Member
    from MN

I just bought a 42" stander and i mow a lot of hills the hardest thing to do is mow down hill then try and turn i have ended up in the street 3 times i still think that my 36" WB holds hills better but i only have 7hours on the stander. If i were to start over i would have taken it slower the hills handle much different than flat. also a wider one would work much better but with the gates i have it would just not fit.

10. Lawn Sharks

Lawn Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

Nathan,
    What is the air pressure in your tires on the Stander? Try something around 8-10 psi in the big tires and watch that baby hold a hill.