Wright Stander ZK test flight

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DCE, Apr 26, 2008.

1. DCE

DCE LawnSite Senior Member

Last Thursday afternoon I got a chance to look and test drive a Stander ZK, the 61" deck / 31 HP Kaw version. Make no mistake, this is a big machine compared with a large frame fixed deck Stander of the same deck size. The casters and drive wheels of the ZK are comparable to that of a large frame zero turn rider. As with any of Wright's other stand-on mowers, the ZK is built very tough.

Upon standing on the platform you'll notice that it is angled a bit towards the deck, and that automatically puts you up against the padded support on the control tower. The platform is also suspended, two large steel coil springs provide the dampening as you cross over rough terrain.

For those familiar with the Stander and Sentar series, the control logic is exactly the same. And the basic "Wright feel" is there with the low polar moment and operator balance control. You don't feel the turns on the ZK because you're standing in between the centerline of the wheel motors. It very much feels like riding on a regular Stander, except bigger. The widened stance of the ZK makes it a very stable ride and from what I have heard, the ZK will hold a hill very well. The 14mph transport speed is pretty damn fast, and will definitely save time traveling to and from the trailer.

I was also able to do some actual cutting with the ZK. One thing I noticed almost immediately was you are able to go faster over rough ground than you probably would with a regular Stander due to the suspended platform. The best way to handle rough ground I discovered, was to come up off of the padded support and bend slightly at the knees. Using your legs as shock absorbers in conjunction with the suspended platform, I felt like I was floating over the rough ground and reducing the forward travel speed didn't matter much. The discharge was very even, no clumping, and turns at the end of the row are quick and you get back to it in a hurry.

The only complaint I have about it is somehow, the deck height pin came completely out due to mowing over rough ground, and the deck slammed down to the lowest setting, forcing me to stop completely to re-set the deck height. Upon closer inspection of the pin itself, the two imbedded ball bearings, which normally are spring loaded to hold the pin in the hole, were not spring loaded, so the pin was just sitting in the hole. Which brings me to my next observation, the Rapid Hite deck adjustment. Pull the lever all the way up and that raises the engine deck and cutting deck to the locked transport height. Put your pin into the corresponding hole of the height you want, then tug on the lever again and that will unlock and allow you to lower the deck until it hits the pin and you're set. Very easy to do.

I will have to make note here that this ZK I got to test out is a pre-production model. The deck height pin thing is a very isolated incident and obviously, a new pin can be used. You will notice from the photos that the fuel tanks are actually Sentar tanks mounted backwards. At the time these pre-production units were built, the ZK tanks were not ready so that explains the use of the Sentar tanks. Other than this, the ZK I saw was pretty much the production one.

The price is even competitive with a large frame sit-down zero turn rider. I think, it is just shy of $10,400?? I think I remember this correctly...if I'm wrong someone please correct me. Anyway, getting to give the ZK a test flight was pretty neat. I've used a Stander RH before so I am already aware of the advantages of a Wright stand-on mower. With the maneuverability, speed, HP, and deck sizes available for the ZK it will no doubt be a high production mower.

Here are some pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. olde_blue

olde_blue LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the photos! Do you know how much a ZK weighs? Is it heavier than the Sentar?

Also, did you get to measure the width of the rear wheel track? Will the 52" ZK's have narrower drive tires?

3. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

The Wright rep brought one of those by the other day. A really sweet machine for sure. I hope they make a Sentar ZK too!

Just a note, the top speed on this unit is actually 15mph isn't it?

I like that the engine is mounted to the frame and not on the deck like the Sentars! Waiting for Wright to do this to the Sentar too.

The deck on this mower has a really large discharge opening. It's baffled to move alot of material out of there at high speeds.

Wright now joins the ranks of the fastest mowers. As far as I know, Dixie Chopper, Bad Boy, and Hustler are the only other companies with 15mph mowers.

4. tb8100

from TX

Something cool i noticed about this unit, the suspension is adjustable to suit riders with different weights. Also, tall boys may find this easier to drive than a Z. Not many Z options that fit some of these 6'6" guys.

Any idea what the front caster and rear tire sizes are? You said they were larger than most Zs...

5. tb8100

from TX

Wonder how hot it gets under that belt cover.

6. DCE

I didn't have my spec sheet out last night when I typed this up but have it out now. Drive tires are 23 x 9.5-12 for the 52" ZK; 24 x 12.0-12 for the 61" as pictured. Caster wheels are 13 x 5-6 for both the 52 and 61 inch models.

One other thing I failed to mention, the deck shell is 6" deep.

7. DCE

Well, we are both correct :) 14mph cut speed...15 mph transport.

8. DCE

The weight of the ZK is as follows:

52 inch: 1,150 lbs (27HP) and 1,200 lbs (31HP)
    61 inch: 1,200 lbs (31HP) and 1,250 lbs (37HP)

As far as the width of rear wheel track, the specs only gives the overall width and that breaks down as such:

52 inch: 53 inches (63 inches w/ deflector down)
    61 inch: 62 inches (72 inches w/ deflector down)

9. tb8100

from TX

Ah. I asked the Wright sales rep what was up with that. He honestly couldn't tell me. How does it cut at a different speed than the transport speed? Or could it be it only cuts good up to 14mph?

10. tb8100

from TX

Most other Zs of that caliber have 24x12.0-12 to 26x12.0-12 rear drive tires and 13x6.50-6 caster tires....

6" deck shell is impressive. They opened the baffling way up on this model, so it will be interesting to see how it performs in overgrown situations, especially wet grass and weeds.