1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

wright stander

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by green_LLC, Oct 4, 2005.

1. green_LLC

green_LLC LawnSite Member

To ensure getting through residential gates, is the Wright Stander 32 more applicable than the 36? 90% of my initial customer base will more than likely be residential. There is a $600 difference between the 15 and 17 hp Kawasaki engines? Any thought's here? Thanks in advance.
  2. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I personally would go with the the 36". And always buy the largest engine available. I have a 52" Stander and a 36" Toro. I have not found a gate the 36" will not go through. And honestly I have gotten to the point that I really try to avoid lawns that require the use of the 36".

3. eyes&earsopen

eyes&earsopen LawnSite Member

I'm in N. Dayton and I seem to be running into a LOT of gates I can't fit through with my 36", but with mower payments I can't be as picky!!! After purchasing my mower I became aware of this problem and I began to wonder did I make a mistake. Like you DRM, in the future I would like to turn down gated properties.
  4. green_LLC

What is the reason you guys prefer to turn down properties with fence gates?
  5. schumany

schumany LawnSite Member

Ha, Ha, Ha, that's so funny! If I turned down all the properties that have gates here in Central Texas, then I wouldn't have any to cut. If you have and area where gates are a problem (not to mention AC units), then I'd go with the 32" mower. I went with the 32" SCAG WB and I'm very glad I did. There are many spots where a 36" would not have made it.

That's my two cents worth. Hope it helps.
  6. SouthernYankee

SouthernYankee LawnSite Senior Member

In Houston, most 36" mowers wont fit through 36" gates, I went with the Gravely 34z, but some guys run wright 32"s. If I didnt have a machine that fit through 36" gates, I would be in a lot of trouble. Better go measuring some gates.
  7. green_LLC

Thanks Schumany, I will go with the 17 hp 32. I picture a lot of fences in my future!