Wright Stander

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JasonPC, Feb 28, 2000.

1. JasonPC

JasonPC LawnSite Member

I'm new to this forum and I have a question for you. I'm considering buying either a 48&quot; or 52&quot; sit down Encore rider versus a Wright Stander with the same size deck. Prices are in the same ballpark. What are the pros and cons in your opinions? (other than the obvious sitting vs. standing)<p>----------<br>Jason<br>JPC Landscapes

2. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

I would buy the Wright stander.<p>I think it's more flexible in terms of the areas you can use it and I think they're built better.

3. scottlawns

scottlawns Guest

i think before you buy you should demo a greatdane and the others...i really like the dane,it goes anywear and so far dependable.

4. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with the previous post. DEMO DEMO DEMO. One mower will work better on some properties while the other will work better on others. Personally if I had to choose between the two I would pick the Wright stander. It has caught my eye and my next mower may be one of them. Have you looked at any other riders? I would consider a Dixie Chopper or Lazer Z. They may be a little more expensive, but remember you always get what you pay for. In your profile you stated that you are from Mass. I would think you are near a metropolitan area so you would have a good selection of dealers to purchase from. Good Luck.

5. BLUECAR202

BLUECAR202 LawnSite Member

6. BLUECAR202

BLUECAR202 LawnSite Member

THE wright stander is so much better than the great dane. the dane comes with mostly briggs while the wright stander has kohlars and kawis. a great dealership just moved into the area. he sold me the 11&quot; caster set for $200 (everyone else wanted 450$) since my model is 2 years old and had the 9 inch ones. The deck is like 4 gauge, and it won't crack off the base because it has a support around the whole machine. and it is so easy to work on. dixie's suck, no one wants that big of a machine on their lawn. And they use indoor out door carpeting by your feet. Also, my neighbor can fit 2 61&quot; wright standers on a 6x10 trailer, with room to spare. www.alami.com a has free shipping and a great price, or call Stewarts lawn sales, in illinois at 815-744-4400, Mark is great to deal with, and all the other local crews only deal with Brad, the commercial mechanic. The tires are wide and that helps on hills. Great Danes slip down hills and cut uneven. There are also a few wright stander demos for sale at www.turfquip.com. email me about what you decided to buy, or any other questions you have highway22@mediaone.net

7. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

I would buy a Kaw or even Kohler before Briggs, but I think the new Super Surfer has a great deal on the Wright Stander.<p>It's interesting how you compare a new technology (Stander) machine to a really old (Dixie w/carpeting) machine.

8. jeffclc

jeffclc Guest

I have been considering adding another mower this season, (48&quot;). I have the following choices: Belt walk behing, Hydro Walk behind, Stand on mower, or small ZTR.<p>The walk behinds are the least expensive. The hydros are about as manuverable as the others. You can also muscle them in and out of thight places. YOu can also wheelie them over bumps, stumps, ruts, ect. The downside is that they are a bit less productive than the others. <p>I like the stand on mowers, but have a few concerns. Both of the manafacturers are relativley new to the mower business. I know of the Dane connection, and also of the gobbler/velkey connection, but this is a great new venture for both companies. Will they be making these mowers five years from now? Will the dealers continue to handle these lines? What about future parts ability? Why are the other manafactureers (Exmark, Scag, ransomes, Lesco...) not hoping on this? <p>I like the manuverability of these machines. I briefly drove one, and liked it. I also like the small footprint, not taking up much room on the trailer. <p>I don't like them for the following reasons. You cannot muscle the deck over a bump or stump or rut. I cut a few cemeteries that are vert un even, and I often pop a wheelie with the walk behind to go over something. The front of the decks are also heavy(they have to to make the machine stabil. This makes for more difficult blade changes, spindle maintenance, height of cut changes. <p>The price of theses machines is mid point of a walk behind and a ZTR.<p>The small Z's are nice, and fun to drive. I like the idea of sitting vs. standing. They are the most expensive option. They are also the largest of the three machines. They are also the fastest of the three. Hillside stability????? <p>So what have I decided, Nothing yet. I am proball yleaning twords a hydro walk behind. I feel that it is the best value, and for the cemetreies, I can eliminate some scalping that I would do with the other mowers. I will give the standers another hard look and demo.

9. bdemir

bdemir LawnSite Senior Member

i thought that the great dane came with kawasakis and kohlers and the writght stander came with briggs?

10. scottlawns

scottlawns Guest

the dane comes with kohlers and briggs