Wright Stander

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by delphied, Feb 15, 2008.

1. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

Yet another Wright Stander thread. What I want to know is the difference in the field between the RH and the Fixed front wheel Standers. Scalping, holding hills, and how long does it take to change cut height with the fixed front end? Any other substantial differences?
  2. Mowgli

Mowgli LawnSite Member

3. delphied

Looks like a nice cut too!
  4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Can you lift the front up by hand?
  5. delphied

Is the fixed front end more manueverable than the RH?
  6. olde_blue

olde_blue LawnSite Senior Member

For a 36", the fixed and the RH are about the same size, only the RH is significantlyly heavier and way more front heavy, which makes it worse on hills and not as quick to turn. The 48" and 52" RH are a bit smaller than the (large frame) fixed, but they have narrower tracks and smaller tires, plus the front weight bias. They should be not near as good on hills.
    You cannot lift the front of a Wright Stander by hand unless you are very strong--my 36" has at least 100 lbs of weight on the front tires. I change the height of cut by running one front tire up on my trailer ramp (or a curb) at a time and set the parking brake. The dangling tire can be easily height adjusted buy swapping spacers; afterwards I move the mower and repeat for the other side. Unfortunately, my hands get greasy in the process!
    The fixed decks do tend to get caught on trailers when backing off. Since they are short, you can spin them 180 on a 6' wide trailer, however, and go off forward, "popping a wheelie" as you go.
  7. delphied

Are the larger tires of the fixed Standers better than the smaller of the RH?
  8. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

I'd like to see that ... can you post a video on you tube ??
  9. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

i think the rh has too narrow a stance and you will scalp more and not as good on hills at all. the fixed are stout on hills and i really would have4 to try to scalp(48") with it. changing the hieght like dude above, the grease sucks on you hands, but you can do it with practice and not get dirty but the fingertips. i dont change height much anyways except between spring-summer-fall height differences here. so three times per year.
  10. esparzalandscaping

esparzalandscaping LawnSite Member

I have 8 Standers on my fleet, all fixed deck. 2 36", 5 48" and 1 61". I don't have any problems with scalping with any BUT the 61... that sucker is too wide to do anything but flat areas. The trick to unloading it off of SOME trailers is to kinda lift the front tires as you back up. Have nothing but good things to say about Wright, great products.