Wright Stander

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by godjwood, Oct 25, 2011.

1. godjwood

godjwood LawnSite Member
    from RI

Hows it going guys? I need someone experienced using different equipment's opinion.

We have always used hydro walk behinds (ferris) and this season i bought a 52" wright stander.

My employees complained that it did a poor cut (ferris cut better). I thought maybe they were mowing too fast but they don't think that is why.

They also complained it was tiring to stand on it all day, hurt their legs. Even after I disabled the safety so they didnt have to lean into it.

Is this true? Does the Wright suck? I mean it cuts way faster than the ferris'.

The reason I ask is I am thinking about getting another one today for my other trailer. Are there other zero turn mowers that are better?

Thanks!

2. godjwood

godjwood LawnSite Member
    from RI

also they say that it tears up the grass a lot when turning..

3. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Everything you mentioned is correct. Wrights take a light touch when making turns. If its a fixed deck the cut could suffer too. I only run mine when I need to fit through a gate. The older I get the idea of a fully sprung ferris sounds better and better.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. godjwood

godjwood LawnSite Member
    from RI

I dont think im going to get the wright.. all my employees say no. They love the ferris/sulky combo. I don't like it because it is so much maintenance, so many moving parts.. I really like the wright but im not the one using it every day.. plus quality of cut is very important of course.

5. dutchacres

dutchacres LawnSite Senior Member

Look into the ferris stand on. Looks kinda dorky but who cares if it is comfy and gets the job done. Stand on mowers are the way to go in my opinion I wish I would have gotten one instead of my POS Scab Pro V! I swear I don't know why people think Scab is such a good mower cuts like crap tons of problems and it has less than a 100 hours on it.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. j-ville native

j-ville native LawnSite Senior Member

I don't think ferris has a stand on. If you're talking about the evolution, that's not a stand on.

7. DR J

DR J LawnSite Member

may want to look at wright sentar sport has been a great unit here in austin for use, also scag v ride both nice pieces of equipment. your guys will have to learn the touch on a wright, heavier because you are on the machine, diff. than trad. walk behinds. Ferris has had mixed reviews here.

8. WJC

WJC LawnSite Senior Member

Are you talking about a fixed deck, a RH deck or a stander x ? They all perform differently.

9. Zak's Pro. Lawn Care

Zak's Pro. Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

i run a 48 inch great dane super surfer II with a 19HP kawa. It only weighs 720lbs which makes it less likely to tear up turf when turning. i do think your employess are just so used to the ferris walkbehind and havent gotten used to a stander(zero turn) yet...3 point turns! the ferris 'stander' you are talking about is the Evolution which IMO is a POS and is not a real stander you must sit on a seat the entire time and the seat is like sitting on a racing motorcycle...not comfortable. if you were worried about cut quailty and tearing up turf when turing the ferris is terrible and you would be better off with the wright. i demoed the ferris evolution for 5 days and hated every minute of it except for the transport speed is very fast. if you are really looking for another stander you should check out the Great Dane super surfer, scag v-ride, wright stander...make sure you are using floating decks if you have a fixed deck this is your problem. fixed decks have terrible cut quality and weigh more.

10. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

That Great Dane is 900lbs floating or 850lbs fixed Secondly, it has 20x8 inch tires compared to the 820lbs fixed and 20x10 tires on the Wright or 750lbs rapid height with 18x10.5 tires on it. You can't get a Great Dane new and would have to settle for a Gravely or Deere or maybe this is the last year. (Same mower on the Gravely or same mower with a Deere deck on the Deere)
    No dealer support in the future and parts are already to a point where you can't just get one part you have to buy a whole assemble. The Great Dane rear tires stick out so far you have absolutely zero deck to trim with on a 48. I have had the Wright Z mid mount 52, Wright stander 36, Great Dane 48. Gravely prostance 48, and a few Toro's with the 7guage and turbo force decks, Lesco Z two 60, Exmark lazer z 52, and Scag Gravely Lesco Ferris Bunton Bobcat walk behinds all 36 besides on Gravely 32. Out of all of them I liked my Wright Z the most. It was fast and cut great. Second I'd pick the Toro with the turbo force and Exmark same mower and same cut pretty much here but it was slow and Heavy! Also, the Great dane and Gravely stand ups have no way to hold on when you reverse like the Wright has the quad steer so you can just move up to the front set of controls.

What Stander do you have?