Wright Stander

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Deererunner, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Deererunner

Deererunner LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Ok, I have been looking for a used 32" wright stander for a little while now to increase my productivity on my smaller gated properties and I am finding that they are hard to find. Got to thinking today, is the frame the same for the 32" as the 36"? I know on the newer models, the 36" have wider tires. But my thinking is, could I buy a 36" stander and then just order a 32" deck and belts/ blades and then just switch the spindles to the new deck. Also if it had the wider tires, I would swap them out of course. Just wondering if anyone knew this, having trouble find the specs for the later models. I would just use a 36" but I have to many properties that the gate with is literally 33", my Ferris Hydrocut barely fits.

Thanks guys!

2. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

It would be possible but very expensive. First thing you need is a 36" of the same vintage as the 32" machines. The older 36" machines are nothing like the new ones and they didnt make a 32" when those were made.

Easiest way to tell is the fenders at the rear of the machine. If it has those then you could convert it. I am not sure what all is different though. Obviously the deck and belt. Might have a different idler arm. Would have to look. Different wheels/tires for the back. The wheels are narrower too and might be offset differently. The wheel motor mounts might be different. I doubt it but I would have to look at a diagram. You may or may not want to convert the fuel tank/bracket. The older 32" models had a narrow tank(not sure on the bracket). The latest ones since the emissions updates run the same tank as the 36 I believe.

The deck shell is probably in the $500-600 range. The wheels and tires could be a bit pricey as well. The rest wouldnt be too bad depending on what all you need.

3. pugs

Also have you though about taking like a 6x6 and cutting a ramp at each end of it. Put it at one side of the gate and then drive through the gate at an angle with a 36" machine. I have heard of people doing that with walkbehinds. Not sure on standers.

4. Deererunner

Deererunner LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Very interesting though there, might be something to look into. Also thanks for your info, I knew it would be expensive, just wasn't sure if it would work or not.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. pugs

I would grab a parts book from their website and go through and find all the parts that are different. Wheels and deck stuff is most important. List up those parts and then get a quote on them. Wheels/tires are only available together from Wright now and are pricey. Might be able to get the wheels separate and tires from a tire supplier and save alot there. The rest of the stuff would need to come from Wright though.