Wright Stander

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tbarchaser, Aug 3, 2003.

1. Tbarchaser

Tbarchaser LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

I am sceduled to pick up a 42" 17hp kaw Stander next weekend. Its a great price so even if I decide I dont like it I will be able to sell it without a loss.

If you have owned one or currently own one please give me your input. Good,bad or ugly

thanks

2. GLAN

GLAN Banned

Ohhhh...............nice

We are thinking of trying one next year.

3. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

I saw one in action yesterday for quite a while. Guy was side-discharging a wide open field, and he was going quite fast, bouncing around a little bit, but he was going I'd say a good 6 to 8 MPH and was cutting this field with no problem. I've seen more and more of them around here in my area (central NJ), and guys either side discharge or they bag using a gobbler. Dump all the clippings in the truck, and use a small trailer for the mower since it's really all you need. Looks like a great machine.

4. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Honestly, how do they do on hills that approach 30-35ยบ? I'm thinking of eventually replacing the WB with one of these.

5. GLAN

GLAN Banned

In theory it should do fine with inclines. It has a wider stance. Though I would think that center of gravity is higher being that your standing on the machine, but you lean into the slope anyway.

6. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

The center of gravity is actually lower, and that helps them perform excellent on hills. Good luck with the new machine! Plenty of threads already here with detailed opinions about them if you want to search. I'm not retyping my comments.

7. dwc

dwc LawnSite Senior Member

I just bought a Sentar (48/19) about a month ago and I love it. I am able to mow almost what my 2 JD hydro walk behinds with sulkies were on a nice flat lot. I dont have any trouble on slopes with mine, but they are not really steep hills or anything. I mostly discharge with mine but I have a grass gobbler also. It works excellent as well. Tried the mulch kit but wasnt too impressed. I mow mostly bermuda though. I would like to have the 36" stander for the back yards but most of the gates at my yards are just 32-36".

dwc

8. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

The Stander is a great machine, my question is why buy such a small one.

9. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I can't speak for anyone but myself but I'm interested in replacing my WB with one, to retype a comment of mine. To me, it has the possibility (significant possibility) of making the drudge work of the WB into more enjoyable and more productive time spent at work. As a former zoomie, I firmly believe in working smarter, not harder.

10. Ferdelance

Ferdelance LawnSite Member

A 42 Stander is a awesome machine. The 42 inch width can get through some fences a 36 inch can get through. I've used a 42 Stander for a year and will never go back to a regular walkbehind again. Using a stander is fun and less tiring than a walkbehind.