Wright Stander

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LuxuryLawns, Apr 30, 2004.

1. LuxuryLawns

LuxuryLawns LawnSite Member

Hey! Have a few Questions about a Wright Standers.
    Here they are.
    How well do they hold up?
    Maintenance?
    How hard to get parts?
    Resale value?
    How Durable?
    Is it worth the Money?
    How well Balanced?
    How do they do on hills?
    What else is important to know?

Luxury Lawns

2. Leisure Lawn

Leisure Lawn LawnSite Member

If you have a Great Dane dealer in your area (or John Deere) Make sure to try the Super Surfer....

much more machine for the money and a floating, easy to adjust deck....faster ground speed..etc...etc...etc.

Try before you buy....demo..demo

3. LuxuryLawns

LuxuryLawns LawnSite Member

Yes, The dealer for are Wright is the same dealer for Great Dane I am going to try a demo pf both.
    Thanks for the info.

4. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, by all means go see the Great Dane dealer. While you're there, ask him how long it takes to get parts for the Super Surfer. If he stutters and tries to change the subject THAT will be your answer. Then ask him if he's thinking of dropping the line. From what I heard from my dealer (who used to carry them) he says that dealers a dropping them like flies because of poor parts availability.

5. Leisure Lawn

Leisure Lawn LawnSite Member

Mowerman....must be a problem with your dealer or distributor....

We have absolutely NO parts availability problems at all.

I have been using Great Dane products since 1999 and have had awesome service with no parts problems from 2 local dealers.

The Super Surfers have saved us a ton of time over the years which translates into a lot of money!!

6. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

Look, literally every thread asking about the Wright Stander, you jump in and very stubornly push the great danes.... and it aint cool- cut it out. When someone starts a thread asking about the super surfers, thats your time and you can be assured i wont push my standers there. They ask about wrights cus they want to know about them, not their competitors. Chill out dude.

7. RTallday

RTallday LawnSite Member

I have a 61 inch stander, and i really love it. A little annoying to adjust blades, but i dont really ever change the height. I will be buying another stander very soon, and would reccomend them any day of the week. Good luck.

-Rich

8. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

I think he is related to "Grass Master" located in the Northeast

Great Dane, Great Dane, Great Dane, Great Dane, Great Dane.......... uuuuhhhhhh

ok, if I go look at a Great Dane will you stop?

9. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Let me state this.

How well do they hold up?-Very well if its new one with the auto return pumps and reinforced decks smoke the older ones (like mine). The older ones with out reinforcements can crack, but there is a weld it your self kit to fix older ones. Maintenance?- Very little. just have to change the hydro filter and oil every 175 hours. Sharpen the blades.
    How hard to get parts?-Your dealer can get all of them.
    Resale value?-Very high
    How Durable?-They don't take abuse very well, they give it out.
    Is it worth the Money?Yes, Will smoke a walkbehine on tight properties and can almost keep up with a Mid mount on large properties. Best of both worlds.
    How well Balanced?-A little light in the front end, but good for when getting stuck, lean back, grap controls fast and pop a wheely to get out. (I can get about 300 feet just on the real wheels.)
    How do they do on hills?-45 degrees is no problem. Thats why you buy a stander.
    What else is important to know?-A jungle jack is a requirement in maintain tools. You can't pick the deck up on them, or you have to run one tire up on the trailer to change blades. If you are looking at 48" or 52" decks, get the 52", the 61" is a little to big for a fixed deck. (why I bought a sentar).

Leisure Lawn- You are comparing apples to oranges. The older surfer and standers are matches since both have fixed decks. The super surfer is matched with the sentar. Since both have floating decks. Also great dane stole the idea from Wright, witch is why the new surfers suck since they lose in court. The surfers are built around the wright patent. So they can still sell them.

I have two 52" standers and i just bought a 61" sentar. I love them. I just saw the protype of a another stander they are coming out with, I can't tell you what it is, but i know i want one.

10. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I was a little turned off by the $6069 price tag on the 42" Stander. Seems the dealer can't(won't) discount it much if any, too. With tax, that's way up there for 17hp and a smallish FIXED deck. I thought it'd be cheaper than that.

I can get a 52" 23hp Kawi Gravely ZTR for that price for a short window of time. That's a whole lot more engine, 2.5mph faster, and usually ztrs cost a little more.

Are the Great Danes cheaper than the comparable Standers?